Sunday, March 26, 2017

THE BEER BEAT: I've decided to skip this year's Session Beer Day observance. See you in 2018.

As Allen Saunders said, and John Lennon later reiterated, life is what happens to us while we're busy making other plans.

Six weeks ago, I started thinking about ways of celebrating one of my favorite annual holidays by taking it to the soon-to-be-two-way-streets in my own city.

THE BEER BEAT: Why not a Session Beer Day pub crawl in downtown New Albany?

In 2017, Session Beer Day will be celebrated on Friday, April 7.

Shortly thereafter, my mother's health took a turn for the worse. There was much to give me pause, and I did the sensible thing ... and paused.

In 2001, when my father died, I was operating at career peak alcohol consumption. The results weren't always pretty, although it was another life and a different set of circumstances. I was functional at this rate of intake, but this fact shouldn't be taken to imply optimal.

Because of all this, I decided that drinking to any substantive degree during what looked to be my mother's final weeks was something I simply had no interest in doing, so I didn't, confining myself to four scattered beers and a double Scotch since just after the Super Bowl.

As most readers know by now, she died two weeks ago, and I'm happy to have kept my vow of sobriety (if not outright abstinence). We're never to old to learn, or to feel.

Session Beer Day was to be the resumption of normality, and yet to be honest, I'm not feeling it. I can see myself having a couple of beers somewhere, just not in the previously suggested format.

I'm going to take a break from Session Beer Day advocacy in 2017, and see where the fickle finger of fate is pointing next year, in April of 2018.

If you'd been planning on joining me for the walk, please accept my apologies.

No comments: