Monday, December 07, 2015

Repost: "I'll even 'hari kari' if you show me how, but I will not carry a gun."


If I were to start carrying a gun (I'm guessing they're fairly easy to get, although I've never owned one), does it mean this idiotic one-way street in front of my house will start running two ways again?

See, it would be safer in my neighborhood that way, and right now, I don't feel safe at all with the street being one-way. Everyone keeps telling me that carrying a gun is about safety -- pack a piece, and you feel safer. So, does it really work?

Or is carrying a gun not enough, and I must go out and actually shoot the street in order to feel safer?

What's the best place to kill an unsafe one-way street -- near the center line, or near the useless bicycle lanes?

Should I aim for the Silver Creek beginning of the world's longest interstate entrance ramp, or closer to the Best Western down at the other end?

But wait: Ammo's not an absolute drop-dead requirement, is it?

I don't actually have to load my new gun, do I?

It's just the deterrent of being known to carry the gun, right?

It's all so confusing. Back in August, The Economist talked sensibly about it.

God, good guys and guns.

... This dilemma is an iteration of a broader question: whether keeping guns makes people safer. A growing majority of Americans think it does—another mistaken conviction. Daniel Webster of the Johns Hopkins Centre for Gun and Policy Research says that, other factors being equal, keeping a gun at home is associated with a double or triple risk of homicide. What holds for homes is also true of states and countries: more guns mean more gun-related murders, tragic accidents and suicides.

No comments: