Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Luke Kelly's last performance, 1983.



In December, 1983, the gravely ill Luke Kelly appeared for the last time with the Dubliners, in a performance shown on Irish television. Kelly died of a brain tumor in January, 1984. The group continued to work until 2012, when it disbanded after the last surviving original member passed away.

The lovely song itself, with opening lines that seem to presage the singer's imminent departure, is a composite of several "night visiting" songs -- not from Ireland, but Scotland. Turns out Kelly's grandmother was a MacDonald. Truly, we never know where the music will take us.

For the past week, I've been listening to Dubliners songs, watching the group's performances and absorbing documentaries. I know already that in years to come, this song -- this performance of it -- will remind me of Christmas in the year 2015. Ultimately, we all must away.

If you'll excuse me now, I seem to have gotten something in my eye.

2 comments:

Celticpiping said...

ok, i'll leave a note...
The first time I heard this song, I was a little undone...
Then, I learned it was Luke's last performance and it just hit harder.
I'm just mesmerized when I watch the older concert videos from the 80's..
The band, the voices...the songs, the crowd, the Irishness of it all..
Though I never had the pleasure of seeing any of them live, I feel a kindredness with the Irish folk, and listening & watching now in 2021, I tend to be filled with a sort of melancholy, knowing that they are no more..

Thanks for posting, and cheers from Maine, USA
Rich

The New Albanian said...

Thanks for your comment, Rich. I feel the melancholy, too.