Saturday, April 22, 2017

New England 2017: Hartford Whalers, Mark Twain and a Thunderous avoidance.


I recall being excited to read this article a few months back, primarily because I always loved the team's logo, too.

Is It Time To Bring Back The Hartford Whalers?, by Nate Silver (Five Thirty Eight)

It was one of the best logos in all of sports. A green “W,” and a blue whale’s tail, neatly using the negative space to form an “H,” as in “Hartford Whalers.” Unfortunately, they don’t give out Stanley Cups for graphic design. The Whalers didn’t have a lot of success on the ice, winning just one playoff series in 18 NHL seasons before moving to North Carolina and becoming the Carolina Hurricanes before the 1997-98 season.

But now there’s a chance the Whalers could resurface. The state of Connecticut is pursuing the New York Islanders, who are in danger of being kicked out of their woefully inadequate arena at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. The team would play at the XL Center in Hartford, the Whalers’ former home.

How successful might Whalers 2.0 be?

Little did I imagine seeing a table filled with Whalers gear at a gift shop in Hartford's airport. Passing on a t-shirt for me, I purchased one for my friend TR, who shares my interest in Hartford hockey graphics.

What can be said about waiting around the airport? There was a decent sports bar and some "craft" beer and coffee. The rental car drop-off was a breeze, and the flight home via Detroit was uneventful. I wasn't dragged screaming from a flight or roughed up; however, we were on Delta, not United.

And I'd completely forgotten that Mark Twain had a house in Hartford. Meet the Lego replica.


We landed in Louisville at 9:00 p.m. and had the car on the interstate by 9:30 p.m., when Blunder Over Louisville lit up the sky with doltishness.

If only we could have stayed in New England all the way through Derby. Next time, I need to plan better.

As is my usual custom, I've been posting photos, commentary and links about our trip; the daily accounts were back-dated to coincide with their occurrence. It won't be the most thrilling reading, but in addition to whatever else NAC may or may not have become over the years, it's still a personal blog, and you're fully entitled to views of our holiday.

No comments: