Friday, February 07, 2014

No parking meters necessary for sidewalk parking.


I'm confused about something, although this isn't uncommon; often I pause from walking to remove my headgear, scratch my head and wonder -- as when those few who bother to clear snow from their proximity choose to deposit it on public right-of-way, with the city doing absolutely nothing to prevent it or penalize it.

But I digress. As I was strolling through the frozen tundra the other day, I passed this car. As is evident in spite of the accumulated white death, it is parked on the sidewalk. In fact, it's parked on the sidewalk most of the time.

Fair enough, I suppose; no harm, no foul; but then again ... when I attended a Board of Public Works meeting last November, the Fire Museum (since departed for Jeffersonville) was there to preview its chili cook-off at The Grand, asking the board for permission to park a vintage fire truck on the sidewalk for a few hours.

Which leads me to believe there is a rule against parking on the sidewalk unless permission has been asked from the Board of Public Works.

Given that downtown street parking rules have been somewhat bizarrely suspended since the most recent England administration, making hash of any sensible notion of supply and demand, doesn't it mean that the car pictured above could occupy a curbside parking space in perpetuity, without penalty?

Does it mean that the Board of Works has approved the sidewalk parking space?

Or, does it mean what I think it means?

After all, this is Nawbony.

12 comments:

SBAvanti63 said...

It's sidewalk calming, NA style

The New Albanian said...

Brilliant. I may have to use that one.

SBAvanti63 said...

Whee! It's almost like a caption contest.

Unknown said...

I think the sidewalk is 6 feet to the right in the pic where the footprints are.

Randy said...

Nah, this guy uses the sidewalk opposite his store to park his billboard/car every night at least. I'm working daytimes, so I don't know if it ever moves.

The New Albanian said...

Well, I guess we need a definition of sidewalk. Did there used to be a verge there? If it isn't grass and isn't street, what is it?

Barturtle said...

The area in question: http://goo.gl/maps/cjg6s

It clearly says "drive", as opposed to "park" ;)

Barturtle said...

Also, according to the sign, as long as it's not parked there Wed morning...

The New Albanian said...

Looks like that's conclusive. Does the property belong to city or church, then?

antzman said...

This example will fix all the parking issues I have on Pearl St. No spots on the street? Just pull up on the sidewalk. We'll have double the spots we currently have.

Barturtle said...

The curb cut appear to be for a bank that seems to have been torn down between 1998 and 2002, as shown on google earth historical imagery.

The New Albanian said...

Antzman: Shhh ... don't give them any ideas.