Thursday, April 25, 2013

Two way streets: A Seinfeldist dialogue about nothing, but not for want of trying.

Last week when I provided this link at the NA Confidential FB page, a strange chat broke out:

John Gonder forcefully advocates two-way streets and traffic calming.

(The matrix above comes courtesy of "Downtown Streets: Are We Strangling Ourselves on One-Way Networks?" by Walker, Kulash and McHugh)

Quite soon, this two-way conversion discussion finally may begin in earnest. As such, it's important for us to grasp the leaden reasoning behind the obstructionism, even if -- as in this instance -- there's very little actual reasoning to it; rather, it's a collection of emotional responses.

Two way streets are good for business, good for pleasure, good for neighborhoods, good for walkers and bikers ... and yet bad for someone who has seen it all? Maybe he/she hasn't seen nearly enough.

---

NA Confidential
John Gonder forcefully advocates two-way streets and traffic calming.

Corydon Pike
What for???????????? To eat, drink and be merry.............

NA Confidential
What do you mean? If you have questions, I may be able to answer them.

Corydon Pike
Thanks, Roger, for responding. I know your thoughts already. I don't share them......

NA Confidential
I'm curious why you don't. There's lots of sound evidence to support two-way streets and slower traffic in urban areas. I live on Spring Street, and calmed traffic would be beneficial for the neighborhood.

Corydon Pike
Like I said. You have your opinion and I have mine. This is all I have to say...........

NA Confidential
Okay. But I am compelled to suggest that facts trump opinions. If they didn't, we'd still be insisting the earth was flat. I've tried very hard to document my case. I'm eager to hear from you and other opponents who can offer documentation for yours. Thanks.

Corydon Pike
I have lived in NA all my life. I've seen it all..........

NA Confidential
I remain curious as to your reasoning, that's all. Two hundred years ago, sewage poured through the streets in ditches. People thought about it, and realized it wasn't healthy. I can muster numerous reasons why the same thinking applies to one way streets. What are yours in the opposite sense? If you've seen it all, surely you have some. Thanks.

Corydon Pike
How long have you lived here, Roger.............

NA Confidential
Bearing in mind that length of tenure has nothing to do with reasoning, I'll answer: Born in NA, raised in Floyd County, worked and lived in NA for the past 25 years. In short, I've been in Floyd County my entire life. Now, why does it matter?

Corydon Pike
I have my thoughts about why you want the streets changed. Could it be that it's easier to get to your business.............

NA Confidential
So, I have to explain my position even further, although you say you're familiar with it, while you haven't yet provided me with a single reason? But okay, fair enough. I support two-way streets because they're better for (a) all the people, not just the ones driving, and (b) they're better for all the businesses in an urban setting like our downtown, not just my own. I regularly offer reasons in support of these positions. Completing streets is a step toward furthering revitalization. Now, if you have any cards at all, why not play one?

Corydon Pike
Like I SAID. I have MY THOUGHTS and you have yours.. Nothing is going to change yours and nothing is going to change mine..

NA Confidential 
You are entitled to your own thoughts and your own opinions. None of us are entitled to our own facts. I'm genuinely interested in what your reasons are, and the reasons for others who feel the way I do. Maybe I'll see something I'm missed. That's why I ask. I spend time finding facts to support my case. You can do as you wish, and in fact, you are -- but those who tell me the sun rises in the west and sets in the east have some explaining to do. Don't they?

---

This is where it ends. Oddly, my "thoughts" remain the same (see matrix above).

No comments: