Sunday, January 13, 2013

K & I as pedway? First it must be pried from the cold dead hands of the railroad.


Last week I received an e-mail from Louisville biking advocate Jackie Green, who has embraced the cause of K & I Bridge liberation. I'm certainly for it, and having pressure from the Louisville side of the river is absolutely necessary owing to the harsh reality of the subject heading. Before returning to Jackie's useful points, let's look back at the previous decade's worth of K & I coverage at NA Confidential.

August 10, 2012

Nash: "We need to ask the leaders of Norfolk Southern to take a closer look at this specific situation."



April 25, 2012

Nationalize the railroad = K & I problem disappears.



January 3, 2012

Serious mobility solution questions for Bridges Authority member Jerry Finn.



December 14, 2011

Thank you, John Gonder. That's exactly what I was thinking.



September 10, 2011

Norfolk Southern: Tear down this wall! Open this bridge!



October 31, 2005

UPDATED: Will the K & I Bridge link be restored? Can the Greenway be green? Why ask why?



February 10, 2005

Mayors united in support for K & I bicycle link



In Jackie's e-mail, he mentions the possibility of the monthly Louisville Full Moon Bike Ride morphing into a "protest" ride, and cites a developing coalition. Here are some of this goals:

- develop a wider email list of folk interested in seeing the K&I bridge open to the non-motorized public

- join forces with the Ohio River Greenway Commission

- work with Floyd County Council

- work with Portland Now

- explore an historical legal decision regarding the bridge with Louisville Metro Public Works

- build interest in the Full Moon bicycle ride as a monthly ‘protest’

- make plans for a community walk to the K&I from both sides of the river simultaneously

- etc.

More power to Jackie, and let's get it started.

No comments: