Friday, May 07, 2010

Jim is more conservative than Dana. Is there a Democrat in the house?

I would have linked to this article sooner, except that there is no on-line version available for linking. Can someone apologize to the Tribune's ad department? Here I am, trying desperately to drive traffic, but there’s only so much I can do without good material. Without material, period. Here's the title:

Fendley, Voyles win council primaries; three district seats will be contested in the fall, by Chris Morris (Tribune).

I'll provide an overview at no extra charge. The Democrat (umm, maybe; see below) Jim Freiberger was unopposed, and the Republican (we’re reasonably sure of it) Dana Fendley defeated newcomer Daniel Short, who quit coming here to the blog quite as often once he aspired to office (just joking, big guy). Dave Matthews must have been enforcing a curfew, or something equally Big Brother-like from the party of freedom and such.

Anyway, here are the two undisputed, classic quotes to emerge from Morris’s article. It's really difficult to determine which is more depressing. I had to type the damn things out, the old-fashioned way:

Dana Fendley: “There are three Freibergers on the ballot, maybe by the time they get down to me they will say ‘how many Freibergers do we need in Floyd County … maybe they will vote for Fendley instead.’”

That’s a cringe-worthy utterance. Don’t Republicans always claim to be the party of ideas, and if so, wouldn’t she want people to vote for her ideas? Surely Freiberger, her fall opponent, has ideas, too?

Ah, not so fast, Publican. He doesn't even have a web site I could find.

Freiberger: “I plan on going door to door in the fall. Even though I am a Democrat, I am more conservative than her so it will be hard for her to try and differentiate that.”

I've known Jim for more than 30 years, and I hope he doesn't take this the wrong way, but Jim: It also makes it awfully hard for us to fathom how and why you’re a Democrat, as opposed to a Republican. If you're more Republican than she is, then why not cut out the middle entity and run GOP? Conversely, if there's something about being a Democrat that matters, could you tell us what it is?

Maybe John Wilcox can tell us. He’s the party chairman, right? That actually means something, right?

Even here, in Floyd County ... right?

BUMP BUMP. Is this thing on?

17 comments:

Jeff Gillenwater said...

Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western.

Iamhoosier said...

As Jed Clampett would say, "Pitiful. Just pitiful."

These people make Jethro look competent.

John Manzo said...

I have thought, for a long time, that ideological labels are ridiculous. People seem to define 'liberal' and 'conservative' on the fly and use them for whatever positions they see fit. Frankly, when a person running for office uses the word 'liberal' or 'conservative' to define himself or herself, I figure they are not bright enough to articulate an actual position and won't get my vote.

Harsh? Yes, but as long as we allow people to hide behind random labels and not articulate real thoughts, we'll continue to have the level of leadership we have.

Christopher D said...

Well said Mr.Manzo

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Daniel Short said...

Look who is back... curfew lifted. lol. I found Jim's remark quite odd. Nice angle in this political climate, but odd.

bayernfan said...

It's truly amazing to me what passes for a Democrat in this area. If he's more conservative than Dana Fendley, I guess I'll be voting for Dana!

Dana Fendley said...

What I should have said was "Do the Freiberger's think Floyd County is their family business or How many Freibergers does it take to run a county?" Chuck, his dad, his cousin, and Jeanie are all running. Now I don't know about you guys, but I think that is definitely an issue. I don't want that many family members having control over the whole county. I feel the same way about employees of the county being elected. They have a vested interest in their own welfare. All my issues are listed on my web site and I have no problem defending or apologizing for some of the things I say off the cuff. Today I defend, tomorrow I may need to apologize.

Iamhoosier said...

Vote for you because your name isn't Freiberger? Is one Freiberger okay? Which one? Should there be a law limiting the number of family members that can be in office?

Beginning to look like even the "lesser of two evils" strategy will be of little help in this race.

The New Albanian said...

Dana, my question would be this:

Jim the Democrat says he's more conservative than Dana the Republican. Do you find such an assertion as bizarre as I do, and if so, how do you answer it ... or do you answer it at all?

Dana Fendley said...

How could you answer that? It is too bizarre for me to understand. I should just shut up and let him continue to shoot himself in the foot.

The New Albanian said...

Yep. My thought exactly.

Iamhoosier said...

I would have understood and accepted, "I was being somewhat facetious while celebrating my primary victory". I cannot accept defending, "Vote for me because my last name is not Freiberger". You are running against this particular person--not his family. At least, IMO, that is who you should be running against.

Ms Fendley, if you are still reading, you have a few points on your website that I like--on line reports, Youth Shelter. Most are pretty typical campaign rhetoric--wasteful projects and such with no details. No better or worse than most campaign sites.

If anyone is curious, to the best of my recollection, I have never met Mr. Freiberger or Ms Fendley.

The New Albanian said...

Talk of the Youth Shelter reminds me of several on-line chats in which a few people were wondering whether there'd been any thought to using one of the now vacated school properties.

Has this been discussed?

Dana Fendley said...

Yes, it has been discussed. Any time a good building comes on the market, it is looked at for a shelter. We found that the purchase and remodel costs are far greater than the costs to build a new building on our property. I don't think the school board will give up those buildings for free, although I haven't been a part of those discussions.

G Coyle said...

"We found that the purchase and remodel costs are far greater than the costs to build a new building on our property."

No doubt new construction can be cheaper, but it's short term thinking. When will someone in government in Southern Indiana finally cave in and learn about New Urbanism and why we need to salvage and reuse our considerable historic/built resources. I've followed the scene for 4 years and I'm still waiting...

I'm voting "none-of-the-above"

G Coyle said...

ps...Dana, we are observing Preservation month right now and there are many opportunities to learn about the immense savings that historic reuse provides. Check out the HPL or HPC website for events.