Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Connor's Place ceases and will make way for an Italian-themed eatery -- or so we're told.

8:20 p.m. photo update, courtesy of Mike Kopp:

I've received confirmation of the rumors that Connor's Place is no more. As of the past weekend, Dave Himmel's bar on Market Street has closed, with its place to be taken by an Italian eatery. The name I've heard bandied about is La Bocca -- can anyone confirm that?

As it has been explained to me, the new operator approached Steve Resch about buying the building, and in the process also bought Himmel's equipment and furnishings.

Naturally, we're sad to see Dave Himmel and his establishment depart the downtown scene. It was difficult for him to establish a niche amid the many incoming food and drink businesses, and at least this way, he gets something back for his investment. I'll have more information on the new restaurant when it comes to me.

Meanwhile, the new location for La Rosita's on Pearl Street has been the scene of painting and interior work during the past two weeks, and further afield, Milltown's Blue River Cafe burned yesterday morning.

5 comments:

Christopher D said...

Conners gone!!?? WTF???

dan chandler said...

Given that the national 5-year survival rate for all restaurants is around 10%, I'm impressed that so many downtown restaurants have held on. Downtown clearly is exceeding industry averages. That's impressive in a boom; that's even more impressive in a recession. It's also a good sign that someone, during a recession, is so ready to invest their money in a new downtown venture.

Iamhoosier said...

Conners always stuck me as just a place to drink and that didn't appeal to me.

Meatbe said...

I liked Connor's Place, but it seemed to have a terrible ventilation system. I had to stop going in there because I couldn't stand the smoke.

B.W. Smith said...

In fairness, Dave went nonsmoking at the end. We (my firm) were just starting to make it a regular stop for lunch accordingly. Sad to see it go, but glad to see an Italian place open up.