Thursday, April 08, 2010

Today's Tribune column: "Mother, is the battle over?"

If you have it, play Bob Dylan's "Idiot Wind" and imagine a montage of Steve Price snarling "no" over, and over, and over again.

BAYLOR: Mother, is the battle over?

... Indeed, war is hell, and so are most of the first Mondays and third Thursdays of the month, not because the ideal textbook definition of city council suggests the aspect of primal entertainment, Three Stooges style, but owing to our dogged insistence as voters in electing unprepared, undereducated, caterwauling ward heelers to their positions. Recalling Mencken, we get exactly what we vote for — good and hard.

Note: My mistake in the original text -- they're Thursdays, not Fridays. Corrected in the excerpt above.

3 comments:

Healthblogger said...

Certainly wouldn't want the constitution to get in the way of a radical liberal agenda.

There is a serious Constitiutional question about an individual mandate on healthcare and it is rightly challenged. Hopefully, all the way to the Supreme Court

Jeff Gillenwater said...

I'm still digging the fact that, by HB's reckoning, a majority of Norte Americanos are radical liberals.

Makes me feel safer until I can afford health insurance again.

Christopher D said...

Dearest Doctor,
I hope you have not forgotten this little line:

"Whatever houses I may visit, I will come for the benefit of the sick, remaining free of all intentional injustice, of all mischief "

Treating the sick, the injured, the frail should NEVER be about politics, it should be about one thing and one thing only, the art and science of healing.

in closing here is another little ditty you may recall "If I fulfill this oath and do not violate it, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and art, being honored with fame among all men for all time to come; if I transgress it and swear falsely, may the opposite of all this be my lot."

When all is said and done, will you be honored or scorned?