Monday, April 27, 2015

Smith: "Sewer Utility Still Draining Tax Dollars."


Randy Smith lays it out. Read and discuss.

Sewer Utility Still Draining Tax Dollars

Quite a few of the incumbents, including Mayor Jeff “M” Gahan, are boasting about the state of our sewer system (Gahan is also the paid president of the city-owned municipal utility).

But it turns out that our elected officials have resumed an illegal shell game with taxpayer money once again being used to disguise the true state of the utility’s finances.

Just four years ago I asked voters in New Albany’s Fifth Council District to elect me. During that campaign, I pleaded with Gahan to promise to end that subsidy. He denied it was illegal and declined to make such a pledge.

I had thought the chicanery had finally ended when I read last year that the subsidy had been removed. But just to make sure, I perused the city’s 2015 budget. There, to my astonishment, was yet another transfer of $570,000 from the income tax fund (EDIT) to the sewer utility.

Read it all, right here

No comments: