Thursday, February 18, 2010

Today's Tribune column: "Not quite string music."

I hesitated before writing this searing confessional for fear that another anonymous troglodyte would call me "beer belly."

BAYLOR: Not quite string music.

Sports? You want me to write about sports? I can do that. Although the value of winning an Indiana high school basketball championship has been rendered moot by the class system, itself a foreign imposition of egalitarian mediocrity that “fixed” what wasn’t broken, tournaments are under way. Some folks care. I’m not one of them.

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

Poignant. I share some of the same ambivalence towards my high school basketball days. Being six foot five and still riding the bench only compounded the disappointment and feigned apathy. In fact I still have the occasional dream where I was first team, had a stronger work ethic in the weight room, and a better left hand. I definitely share the same memories of near barbaric primal locker room behavior. In my conscious life I always say good riddance to high school basketball.

Debbie H. said...

Enjoyed the column. As far as those of us who enjoy writing are concerned, I've found that the more solitary activities are great, even when I'm not by myself.

My regular biking companions know when I'm really working on something because I take off ahead of them but don't realize it until they catch up and say "you're working on your column again aren't you?"

The New Albanian said...

Jeremy: Appreciate that.

Debbie: Ditto. Riding time is prime organizational time for me too, which is probably why I usually ride alone.