Friday, January 08, 2010

Open thread: Best appetizers in downtown NA?

I enjoyed a four-hour lunch at Steinert's Grill and Pub yesterday, and in keeping with my Thursday column theme of dissipation, elected to snack on appetizers so as not to deprive myself sufficient room for beer.

Previously, I'd been tipped off to the Sauerkraut Balls, and after Rick described them as tasting like a Reuben sandwich, there was no avoiding an order. It's an apt description. They're golf-ball-sized, filled with kraut and little morsels of corned beef, deep fried, and served with Thousand Island dressing for dipping.

We ended up talked about everything from the Russian language to how kids form allegiances to sports teams based on things like uniform color. There's simply no better time than a snow day to sit inside, smoke a cigar, drink good beer (New Belgium 2 Below, on draft) and enjoy good conversation.

It got me to thinking about appetizers and beer: What's the best appetizer being served at New Albany's downtown eating and drinking establishments?

Those Sauerkraut Balls need to be in the discussion, for sure.

10 comments:

B.W. Smith said...

Not sure what the best are, but lobster bites at Steinert's are also good, as are the Turkey Spezial and pot pies.

Christopher D said...

lets not forget pretzels and beer cheese from the New Albanian Pizzaria!

Daniel Short said...

Crab Cakes at the Winery!

B.W. Smith said...

I take that back, bread sticks and beer cheese at NABC Grantline are probably the best with beer. Chris D. is right.

Iamhoosier said...

I agree about the bread sticks and beer cheese, but the question was about downtown NA. So, for once, I have no opinion.

Don't get used to it.

Ceece said...

crab cakes at the winery +1

dan chandler said...

Fresh Avocado and Cilantro turn Guacamole at La Rosita.

B.W. Smith said...

While we are speaking of food downtown, I really wish we had a casual independent Italian place along the lines of Federal Hill.

Iamhoosier said...

Italian. +1

Meatbe said...

I agree with Dan Chandler. And speaking of La Rosita, I see that there is now a notice of application for an alcoholic beverage license on the door of the old Fashion Shop. I think that's great! Can't wait for La Rosita to move to its new location.