Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Demican, or a Repubocrat? Or something else?

Earlier there was a brief discussion on Twitter about candidates for mayor in New Albany during the next election cycle. Democrats include the incumbent, Doug England, and (we think) the city clerk, Marcey Wisman.

It has long been assumed that at-large councilman Jack Messer would (at an undisclosed juncture) switch parties and wrest the mayoral nomination away from whichever super-annuated wannabeen is ceremoniously given the "Weekend at Bernie's" treatment by a local GOP with fewer ideas than there are Lite beers at the Public House.

Anyway, until Jack jumps ship, what's best for referring to his affiliation: Demican, or Repubocrat?

The mascot's a given, as pictured above, as cribbed from here.

3 comments:

Daniel S said...

I have no clue , but a better question would be when are we going to scrap parties altogether in this country? Neither of the big boys have been impressive since I've been able to vote. They just add to the gridlock.

Iamhoosier said...

Since you basically have to, I identify myself as a follower of the Democratic Party although voting across party lines causes me no hesitation.

For Jack to get my vote, he had better have some good and SPECIFIC plans as Mayor. I have absolutely no use for his social and national level views.

Daniel S said...

I think most people, er, most voters in America are like you and me, but the most vocal nut jobs on each side of the fence get all the headlines though they are a vast minority.
How many people vote straight down the party line? How many politicians support topics just because their party does? It teaches conformity and groupthink and I don't have much use for either.
Not to confuse that with sticking up for something you really believe in. I just have a problem with somebody when you ask them why they voted for a certain candidate, or you ask a politician why they supported something, and their only answer is because it's my party's platform. That's just scary to me.