Monday, June 06, 2005

Public response to e-mailed question from “NA concerned citizen”

Dear NA concerned citizen:

I tried to respond to your e-mail, but my response bounced back to me. Maybe that’s just a coincidence.

Since you asked, here’s the way it looks to me.

Primarily, I think you are confusing two different factors that pertain to your property taxes.

The first factor is Indiana’s new state budget, the spending directives of which probably will have the effect of increasing property taxes statewide by as much as 20%.

You can’t blame me for that one; I voted for Joe Kernan.

The second factor is City Hall’s Scribner Place bond issue proposal, subject to the City Council’s approval. One possibility is to “guarantee” the loan with property taxes. If this were to be approved (a big “if”), then property taxes would be raised only if (another big “if”) a major financial calamity, i.e., a Caesar’s pullout from the development, occurs – something that is very unlikely, indeed.

These two factors are completely unrelated.

Now, “NA concerned citizen,” tell me truthfully: Have you been going ‘round and telling people that any forthcoming property tax increases will be because of Scribner Place?

Caught you, didn't I?

Well, they won't, and to state or imply such is to go a few steps further beyond a simple “white lie” into the territory of willful deception.

No one, including me, wants to pay more property tax than is necessary. And, you apparently don’t want Scribner Place to be developed under any conditions. That’s fine, insofar as it’s your opinion, but the mistruths disseminated in the course of your opposition to progress simply aren’t factual.

They’re harmful and unnecessary.

No comments: