Sunday, December 16, 2012

John Rennard (who?) on Newtown: Christmas gifts and Jesus.

Part four of four. Reported at the Friendly Atheist blog.

The Worst Thing a Christian Could Say Following Yesterday’s Tragedy

It’s not a Poe:
I don’t know if I’m more disturbed by the comment or the fact that 41 people “liked” it… (Thank you to John Meredith for his sane response.)
Is it bad that I can’t even bring myself to get outraged over this? I’m so numb from hearing Christians say awful, insensitive things in the wake of tragedies. I know there are Christians out there who are responding to the shootings in a truly helpful way. No one doubts that. But let’s put to rest this notion that being a Christian makes you a better, kinder, more decent human being. It doesn’t and it never has.

4 comments:

Goliath said...

Yep. that's about the worst thing. (Vomiting)

bayernfan said...

Notice his page is now deactivated...standing by his convictions...

Jeff Higgins said...

I work with John Rennard and I consider him to be a kind and generous man. I don't agree with what he said, but I know that he was coming from a place of hope when he posted it. John was using his faith to guide him to find some sort of silver lining in the wake of these dreadful events. I think that it's shameful that people are jumping to the conclusion that this man is a monster based on one thing that he said. Did you know that he volunteers extensively in his community by helping the deaf and hearing impaired? Does that sound like an asshole to you?

As an atheist, I am ashamed to know that people are spreading this kind of hostility in response to others trying to find meaning during this crazy time.

The New Albanian said...

Not so much a monster.

Just deluded by superstition.