Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Candidate risks censure by thinking publicly; Luddites threaten retaliation.

Surely this qualifies as a landmark, and perhaps even an apocalypse of sorts, at least by the tragically minimalist standards of traditional New Albanian political discourse.

In fact, I’m hesitant to publicize at-large city council candidate John Gonder’s blog for fear that he’ll become an immediate target of the Coup d’Geriatrique’s fear-mongering anonymous hit squad, but since the regressive elements fail to frighten me – they make me laugh, and besides, history is about to overtake them (calling all dustbins) – I’m reasonably sure that John also is immune to their siren-like call for a retreat into the collective womb.

These disclaimers aside, read this posting at John Gonder’s blog: New or Old Urbanism?

… we in New Albany have the opportunity to create New Urbanist neighborhoods, not from the ground up but rather from existing structures, in existing neighborhoods, with existing streets, and existing sewers, where people would send children to (wait a second don't get carried away) existing schools, and people would attend existing churches, and play in existing parks.

Anathema to Uncouncilman Steve Price’s no-can-do, one-chord millennial sect, perhaps, but for many of us it’s refreshing to find a candidate for office who can discuss topics that genuinely impact New Albany in a contemporary manner, and to commit these thoughts to writing sans plaintive wail or super-sized pander.

There’s probably an ordinance against articulate candidates, but never fear.

If so, it isn’t being enforced.

Can a full investigation be very far behind?

5 comments:

The New Albanian said...

Hmm, and no mention of income levels and elitist tendencies ... yo, KT -- looking positively universal to me.

The New Albanian said...

Sorry about the blip. I had a time stamp malfunction.

Jeff Gillenwater said...

In two posts, John Gonder has set the bar higher than any other candidate. The resulting limbo contest should be interesting.

Christopher D said...

This very refreshing and hopeful, two things that are usually left out of the recipe.

Iamhoosier said...

The following comment by Mr. Gonder,on his blog, won me over:

"all4word:

I hate to plead ignorance on the City Court question but that is my current state.

I know Judge Joe Weber in Clarksville who holds the position of Town Judge. I will try to speak to him to get a better feel for the issue. Otherwise I'd just be blowing smoke.

March 14, 2007 10:00 PM "

Someone who does not proclaim to know it all and is not afraid to admit it. It says a lot about his honesty and integrity. I think that I am in love--politically speaking that is!!