Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Dunman: "Combating neighborhood divisions along racial lines."

On Monday, I started trying to come to grips with dissonance in my career choice -- and inside myself. If I knew where the effort was headed, I'd say so right now. Unexplored territories don't have maps.

The PC: If you tolerate this, then your children will be next.


 ... Note that this blanket condemnation, of which I’m sure there have been notable exceptions, includes my own “craft” brewery, so don’t assume I’m making an exception for my own inexcusable personal cowardice. I always thought I'd be the pro athlete, bass player or actor wearing the t-shirt nd standing up for the downtrodden, but right now, as a craft brewery owner, I'm being exposed as fraudulent. I've done done nothing, and at this precise moment, I hate myself for it.

Meanwhile, Joe Dunman keeps getting it right. If not for his commentaries and the food and drink team's advisories, all Insider Louisville would be is breathless business-fluff. I'm reprinting some of the meat below, but go there and read all of it.

Opinion: Combating neighborhood divisions along racial lines, by Joe Dunman (Insider Louisville)

 ... But as the Metropolitan Housing Coalition’s recently released 2014 State of Metropolitan Housing Report shows, the legacy of segregation persists today. African-Americans still are concentrated in the West End and the Newburg area, with minimal diversity elsewhere. The median wage in those areas remains suppressed, and educational achievement is low. Public housing is restricted (mostly by zoning laws) to four out of the 26 total Metro Council districts, with the rich and the poor kept far apart. The “de facto” segregation the busing plan was designed to alleviate still remains.

But make no mistake, as MHC director Cathy Hinko has pointed out, this is not some accident of history. It isn’t really “de facto” at all. Our divided city is the result of intentional policy decisions.

In the 60 years since Brown v. Board of Education, the 50 years since the Civil Rights Act, and the 40 years since Milliken v. Bradley, our country has made strides toward racial equality and integration. But the growing temporal distance between the tumultuous Civil Rights era and the present day has perhaps led us to let down our guard, to assume the battle has been won. It has not.

No comments: