Wednesday, August 15, 2012

"I think it's pretty bad .. we don't really need these chains."

I've never been to Totnes. Now I want to go. When I do, there'll be no Costa Coffee for me. If the people who live in Totnes have their way, there'll be no Costa Coffee, period. It's all about managing to elude the "stomping boot," isn't it?

Totnes: the town that declared war on global capitalism; The locals of the Devon resort have gone to war – with Costa Coffee. But why are they desperate to stop a branch of the giant chain opening up in town? And can they win?, by John Harris (Guardian)

 ... Welcome, then, to another chapter in the ongoing battle between places that pride themselves on their local character, and the great stomping boot of multinational capitalism.

1 comment:

Jeff Gillenwater said...

"It's all about managing to elude the 'stomping boot', isn't it?"

Yes.