Sunday, April 15, 2012

"Car-saturated Mexico City lets bicycle riders rule the roads on Sunday mornings."

You'd think that creativity would be easier in a smaller city, but of course here in New Albany, drivers are ready to self-immolate at the creation of street bump-outs having the effect of reducing their average speed by 5 mph -- that's when they're not speeding through the parking lane.

Perhaps it's not a question of size, but one of political and governmental courage. In that equation, we occupy our properly Lilliputian cosmic scale.

Car-saturated Mexico City lets bicycle riders rule the roads on Sunday mornings, by William Booth (Washington Post)

MEXICO CITY — Hey, honey, let’s go bicycling with the kids through downtown Mexico City! Just a few years ago, these would have been the words of a lone madman.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I don't know what it is. Maybe just general stress level? I have a long commute, so I drive for part of it, and then ride once I'm closer to the office - I have a folding bike that I keep in my trunk. And whether I'm driving or riding, there are people on the road who just don't seem to have safety in mind at all. A good case for separated bike lanes, maybe? Or more stringent enforcement?