Friday, August 27, 2010

HRCC is never enough: The anonymous Clere attack machine gears up.

After Ed Clere deleted a question about tolling and the Ohio River Bridges Project from his State Representative Facebook page, a handful of others reposted the question. They were deleted, too.

Seeking a place to publicly post the question where it could not be deleted by Clere or his handlers, I chose the comments section of his latest Tribune column since a link to it remained on the Facebook page after the deletions and the unceremonious "de-liking" of apparently anyone the campaign thought might ask a question they don't want to answer.

You knew it would happen, and it didn't take long.

Anonymous bashing excerpts, from brave patriots in defense of censorship:

NOT a Democrat wrote:

Gillenwater, this is as disingenuous a message as I've ever seen on here. I know exactly what Baylor, et al, did on Facebook and what you're doing on Twitter and now even on the Tribune.

Maybe I look at this differently because I consider myself an independent. I vote for the individual. Therefore, I'm not allied with any party.

The fact is, the Democrats have a poor candidate they're trying to tout as viable. Anyone who has to deal with Gibson in any way knows that he is lazy, overpaid, and is only in this because England wants to have his hands on the state rep office.


Matt R. wrote:

I think it's obvious that youre even trying to trap Mr. Clere. You keep getting on there and asking it too.

I was noticing on his Facebook page last night that he kept getting a whole bunch of new fans and that people kept asking the same questions in the exact same words. You all did it. You all were really charging after Mr. Clere on his page.

I kept thinking that someone should go on there and delete your questions. I thought they were rude and mean. My professor said you were baiting him and that anything he said would be worked however you wanted to result to be. You would twist his words.

It is obvious to me that Mr. Clere can say nothing that would please you or any of your group because you want to show support for your candidate of choice. My professor saw this and I saw it too.

4 comments:

Curtis Morrison said...

I want to know where that Matt kid goes to school? Where is there a professor that is teaching him politicians have no accountability of inclusive engagement with their constituents?

Social media is a two-way street. It's just not a tool to rape supporters with propaganda. How easy would it have been for Clere to have answered the question when Gillenwater first asked it? How much integrity would that have taken? Has he answered it yet? Has he?

Iamhoosier said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Iamhoosier said...

Trap? It is mind boggling that anyone would not expect a candidate to answer a question that, arguably, is the most important long term question affecting Floyd and Clark counties.

I've voted for Republicans. I'm a big supporter of Kevin Zurschmiede, even though I don't always agree with him. He is almost always prepared(and if he is not, he says so. Doesn't try to bluff his way out). Has always answered any question that I have asked him. In my opinion, he is the best overall member of the city council. Truthfulness and being straightforward go a long way with me--often much more the policy. He has my respect. Mr. Clere does not.

Jeff Gillenwater said...

As usual, I'm baffled by the idea that openly asking an elected official and candidate a policy question is supposedly some devious plot but that making inaccurate accusations from behind a mask is a perfectly patriotic execution of civic duty.

As far as that goes, if anyone chooses to add to the fray, please sign your real name.

It's just more of the same. Around here, doing wrong is fine. It's pointing out what they did that's considered controversial.

I'm not sure if it's a local, national, or international disease. I just know that we, as a region, have a bad case of it.