Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Praise the Lord and pass on the left.

Classic letter to the editor in today's LEO.

Hoosier Driver?

I have an observation I would like to share with your readers — or maybe a challenge. The next time some bonehead cuts you off in traffic, take a second and eye their license plate. If it is from Indiana, note if it is an “In God We Trust” plate. In the past two years, I have found a nearly 1:1 correlation between bad Indiana drivers and those license plates. Now, I realize correlations do not denote causation. However, when I see a Hoosier on the road sporting this telltale insignia, I tend to anticipate them doing something really stupid. Maybe they should let their co-pilot drive.

Michael R. Coburn, Speed, Ind.

---

At the (perhaps) reviving New Albany Bicycle Coalition blog, Debbie's been approaching this story from a different, two-wheeled angle. She explains it here: Should Bicyclists Trust God? An Experiment. Browse her more recent posts to see how the experiment is ... er, progressing.

---

We'd best leave ROCK's latest grandstanding out of it: ROCK sues Kentucky, legislators over license plate denial.

Small wonder that the group's chosen dictator is a lawyer, eh?

5 comments:

Ceece said...

I wonder if Mr. Coburn records the number of "In God We Trust" plated drivers who don't cut him off and don't exhibit 'bonehead' tendencies?

Although, I guess that wouldn't make such an interesting letter would it?

Iamhoosier said...

Personally, I look for the "fish".

Ann said...

I doubt there is a correlation. If a person is an inconsiderate jerk, they just are, regardless of religious belief or not.

Randy said...

Please remember that in Indiana, "In God We Trust" is often not a choice - it's the standard issue, requiring not forethought or extra expense. I'm still goggle-eyed over the Indiana DMV employee who asked someone why on earth they wouldn't want an IGWT plate.

But Ceece, it sure was an interesting letter. Rock on, from one believer to another.

Ceece said...

When I went to get our new license plates I was given two of the blue plates and had to request my In God We Trust plate...