Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Potpourri before work.

A few random thoughts for a lovely Wednesday morning in May ...

Why bother driving traffic toward another local blogger who posts in disguise and doesn't permit discourse? That would be tantamount to rewarding cowardice, wouldn't it? Nah. The already cheapened bait can just wiggle past. I have far bigger fish to fry (insert your own cliche here, Prof. Erika).

---

The Tribune has somehow uncovered a gem of a local Neanderthal columnist ... or maybe it's just a lump of coal. Read two of his recent cultural reinterpretations, in which is revealed a social orientation somewhat to the distant right of the John Birch Society ...

OLSON: Hillary should stay in the race
OLSON: Longing for historic measures

... and lament the fact that yesterday's strident denunciation of his own "Woodstock generation" hasn't been archived on-line by the newspaper.

Is it just me, or has the Weekly World News's legendary Ed Anger settled in Sellersburg? These columns are so over the top that they must be thinly veiled satire, right? If not ... oooooh. Fine writer, but very, very reactionary.

---

Speaking of the Tribune, has anyone seen this odd revelation at the newspaper's website?

PUBLISHER: Jim Grahn jim.grahn(at)newsandtribune.com

The last reference to John Tucker came in March, according to the search mechanism, and his name appears nowhere in the "contact us" section. There is no staff listing in yesterday's newspaper. Clues, anyone?

---

This from the C-J:

New Albany panel rejects road plan, by Dick Kaukas.

Turning down a request by Mayor Doug England's administration, the New Albany Redevelopment Commission refused yesterday to authorize the city's Board of Public Works and Safety to implement two road-construction projects.

Having done so, the Commission went on to approve the projects, which total $2.5 million for Spring Street Hill and Rainbow Drive. The former was okayed unanimously, but the latter passed 3-2, with city council reps Coffey and Benedetti voting against.

At least they attend the meetings ... but I won't go there. Yet.

8 comments:

Iamhoosier said...

As for our local newspaper, several months ago, perhaps even a year, I made the pledge to call it the Tribune instead of the 'Bune. Out of respect for steps the paper had taken to improve their journalistic responsibility to our community.

It is interesting to read your comment on Tucker's apparent absence. I had not noticed his name being gone but have noticed the lack of substance in the paper. Respect has to be earned, so it is back to the 'Bune.

Jeff Gillenwater said...

I can't help but daydream about what could happen if someone had the money and vision to refocus Cary Stemle's considerable talents and connections on this side of the river.

Shea Van Hoy said...

iamhoosier,

I'm just curious what you mean by lack of substance? I actually consider our last year the strongest since I've been here, which will be a period of three years in November.

For starters, in the past week, we broke what has become a national story (family accuses teacher of abuse), reported about the possible Silver Street Elementary closure with more depth than anyone, along with the usual city coverage, etc.

I just didn't know if you had specifics you could provide.

Best, Shea Van Hoy
Managing Editor, The Evening News and The Tribune

Iamhoosier said...

Shea Van Hoy,
Man, that was quick. Can I call you when my paper is late/missing?(grin)

Your story on the alleged teacher abuse is important. You are to be congratulated on that. Your reporting on the school issue(s)is also important and a little closer to what I was referring to.

I had the distinct impression that the paper was taking a stronger editorial stance toward reporting AND opinions concerning the local "government". A little more digging and checking. A broader approach than just who voted up or down. I do not remember much content in this vein over the past few months. Your school closing story is, actually, a good example.

I don't have a lot of specific examples off the top of my head and I also understand that there have been changes in reporters, who need time to get up to speed. If you would like, I would be glad to email you or meet with you to further explain. My command of the written word "ain't no good" but hopefully I have been able to clear up my opinion, just a little.

Thanks for asking,
Mark

PS What did happen to Mr. Tucker? And was it "reported"?

Shea Van Hoy said...

Mark,

Thanks for the explanation and I hope your paper arrived!
We do have some new reporters of late, but they're adjusting well. We've got a good staff at present.

To answer your other question, John Tucker is still here. What you folks have noticed is a realignment of some duties, which we haven't made public yet. Something will be forthcoming.

Feel free to e-mail me — shea.vanhoy@newsandtribune.com

Best, Shea.

Meatbe said...

I actually refer to the paper as the 'Bune as a kind of endearment. I've done so for years, ever since Roger was engaged in public debate with the editor about the razing of the former Park Christian Church building next door. My friends and I all call it the 'Bune, though no disrespect is intended.

I agree that Cary Stemle would be a great addition to any writing staff. He is insightful, honest and a fantastic writer. The Providence community is justifiably proud of him.

edward parish said...

Maybe he could be a staff writer on NA Confidential?

Matt Nash said...

While we're on the subject, I went to check the show clock in the Tribune. I noticed that the Indiana Jones movie was absent. Just below there is what appears to be a paid ad that list all the showtimes for Great Escape and it is in that one. I believe the one they are printing is a few weeks old.