Monday, October 17, 2005

LEO takes notice of two New Albany eateries.

Apologies for being slow to cite this link, but in last week's LEO, peerless restaurant reviewer Marty Rosen found two good places to eat in New Albany.

New Albany expands with flavorful barbecue and Mexican fare.

I've eaten several times at Hoovie’s Real Pit Bar-B-Q, which is at 3417 Grant Line Center in New Albany (just across Grant Line from NABC/Rich O's), but haven't yet tried Tacos La Rosita, located at 2535 Charlestown Road in New Albany, right next to the burned out hulk of the tanning salon that has been sitting untouched since it burned six weeks ago.

Meanwhile, the establishment now known as California Mexican Kitchen (1515 E. Market, a half-block west of Tommy Lancaster's) seems to have finally settled into somewhat of a predictable operation, with seating now being expanded to include the entire first floor, and reasonably priced food and espresso.

I'm hoping the best is yet to come.

8 comments:

All4Word said...

I have to admit to having something of a "Jones" for California's. A dear friend allows me to have "delivery" of my weekly No. 1. and the missus and I usually partake at least once more each week of R & V's repasts.

Tamales and enchiladas, particularly verdes, is my current addiction, although I must note that the menu and the kitchen output often diverge.

Hoovies? Dunno. DO THEY DELIVER?

May I also recommend Hung Wang, on Spring Av...? Altogether a completely delightful dining experience, and they, unlike the others, deliver.

And I hear our fave Italian ristorante on Pearl Street is about to commence with delivery service. Quelle surprise!

edward parish said...

As noted earlier to RAB,Hung Wang rules. We need to push Mai Thai in Jeffersonville to move her wonderful Thai food operation to NA. The best Pad Thai in the area, bar none.

Jeff Gillenwater said...

Amen on Mai's Thai, Ed.

If you're up for dessert, be sure to ask about the chocolate dipped strawberries at California's. We got them as a surprise bonus one night. R & V say they should be added to the regular menu soon, if they're not already.

I also highly recommend the soft "Mexican" tacos with grilled meat, onions, and cilantro over the ones on the menu. Hardshell tacos are for Taco Bell, according to Rey.

jon faith said...

I shouldn't have read the postings so close to the dinner hour.
Rosita's is good, appears to shaken some of its bugs since my initial visit.
I'd like to sample the huevos rancheros (my favorite dish) at California; that said, I have enjoyed my half dozen trips to CA

TSOLfan said...

I've added to La Rosita and Hoovie's both over at New Albany Source (newalbanysource.com).

Anybody feel like doing a call blitz and getting the hours of operation for all of the places? I'd love to add those, as I know I've called Dave over at Federal Hill on a number of occassions because I couldn't remember when they closed (and, yes, I still don't remember).

Again, I'll do another call for local business, if you know of a business that should be on there that I missed, shoot us an email.

The New Albanian said...

Jim, I think Pigasus might be shuttered again, so you might check that listing.

All4Word said...

Mea culpa. It's Hing Wang (I recommend the C12 - Roast Pork Egg Foo Yung).

The New Albanian said...

Steve - does the rumor indicate whether the Starbucks will be in the area by the interstate, or closer downtown?

As for California, what a strange trip it's been with respect to settling on a concept. I really hope they do well; it's great for the hood (as CannonFarms would say).