Sunday, September 25, 2011

"Career," by Mott via Joe Elliott.



A month ago, we saw Def Leppard at Freedom Hall. At some point I was explaining the affection of the Lepps' front man Joe Elliott for otherwise forgotten British pop/rock of the 1970's, as epitomized by a side cover band project of his called Down 'n' Outz, and their album My Regeneration. With no new Def Leppard material to embrace, I've been rediscovering Elliott's homage, and it is a good one.

As an example, "Career," as performed originally by Mott, as the band Mott the Hoople was called after singer Ian Hunter left.

And how did a youthful Floyd Countian like me ever know about Mott, Hunter and other English artists of the early 1970's period like T. Rex and even David Bowie?

Because the supermarket now known as Floyd Central Thriftway carried Circus magazine. I read about it there, and tried to find the music here.

No comments: