Saturday, December 07, 2019

SHANE'S EXCELLENT NEW WORDS: "Ignorance has won," says Apostrophe Protection Society. We'd like to disagree, but cannot.



And while we're at it, perhaps a mandatory refresher course in the proper use (and frequency) of exclamation marks?

No sirree, I won't back down.

I will continue my lonely struggle against bangorrhea (exclamation mark diarrhea) for so long as an ounce of strength remains to tear my hair and mutter recriminations.

Stop it!

Apostrophe society shuts down because 'ignorance and laziness have won', by Tim Baker (The Evening Standard)

The Apostrophe Protection Society will close

A society dedicated to preserving the correct use of the apostrophe has shut down because "ignorance has won".

Retired journalist John Richards, 96, started the Apostrophe Protection Society in 2001 to make sure the “much-abused” punctuation mark was being used correctly.

But Mr Richards has now announced: “With regret I have to announce that, after some 18 years, I have decided to close the Apostrophe Protection Society.

“There are two reasons for this. One is that at 96 I am cutting back on my commitments and the second is that fewer organisations and individuals are now caring about the correct use of the apostrophe in the English Language."

He added: “We, and our many supporters worldwide, have done our best but the ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won” ...

No comments: