Friday, July 19, 2013

And look at those hairy chests.

While seldom to my personal taste, the Bee Gees sold millions of records when such achievements actually mattered.

They could have made money on Spotify, for chrissakes.

The odd thing is that while the disco-era Bee Gees offended me tremendously at the time, when I hear the group's songs now (and the many hits they penned for others), I'm struck by aspects so elusive during pop music's wretched Auto-Tune daze.

Namely, the Brothers Gibb actually could sing.

And the songs they wrote had melodies.

Hmm.

Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees: 'I want to keep the music alive', by Alexis Petridis (Guardian)

Barry Gibb is the last surviving Bee Gee – and he's given up retirement to go back on tour. He talks about the backlash to Saturday Night Fever, his troubled relationships with his brothers and how drugs helped shape their distinctive sound.

No comments: