Sunday, March 18, 2012

Nash: "It is amazing how much garbage you will see on the ground."

The city's first government-sanctioned street spam sign sharking campaign in recent memory, perhaps ever, was supposed to have started on Friday, March 16. Did any readers actually witness city workers uprooting yard signs in rights-of-way? If so, were they including utility poles as part of the rights-of-way directive?  They should have, but this was not made clear in previous releases and news reports.

Meanwhile, over at the local pop-up generator, Matt Nash correctly assesses the dismal state of the city's cleanliness, but take heart: An early spring means more greenery (and weeds), which always help to obscure the unsightliest bits.

NASH: Keeping our city clean

... I don’t remember my parents ever sitting me down and teaching me not to litter. I don’t remember an instance where they specifically said not to do it. I guess the reason I don’t litter today is because I never saw them do it. It looks like a lot of people around our city didn’t have good parents like I did.

If you travel around New Albany by any mode of transportation other than an automobile, it is amazing how much garbage you will see on the ground. With all of the nice weather that we have had this winter, I have been able to walk or ride my bike around our city and it looks terrible. Piles of garbage are collecting along our roadways and creating an unsightly mess in several locations.

No comments: