Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Jeff Gahan for Mayor of New Albany.

(Following is Roger’s personal endorsement. It is not the “official” endorsement of NAC)

During the course of the campaign, I’ve attended six or seven election functions. At each one, the Democratic candidates for mayor of New Albany have spoken about their platforms and aspirations.

Just like everyone else, I’ve been listening to Paul Etheridge, Jeff Gahan and Irv Stumler, and deciding who among them would get my vote on May 3.

It’s time to make that choice, and mine is Jeff Gahan for Mayor.

I would not be voting for Jeff if his single qualification to serve is his status as the only viable alternative to Stumler, Etheridge having failed to convince me that he’s a credible candidate, even if he surely would be the best street department head this city’s ever seen.

Upon reflection, there are plenty of good things to say about Jeff’s candidacy. But, let’s start by addressing the 800-lb gorilla.

Indeed, Jeff Gahan is not Irv Stumler.

In a city already noted for brazen political shenanigans, one is hard pressed to recall an instance of cynicism equivalent to the 75-year-old Stumler’s abrupt and expedient defection from lifelong Republicanism to become, overnight, the bizarrely anointed successor to the incumbent mayor, Doug England (a Democrat).

The circumstances have not been fully explained, and likely never will be. However, it is known that over the years, Stumler has contributed substantially to the Republican National Committee, among others, which have used these contributions to pursue disastrous economic and social agendas that we must work together to thwart if we are to witness progress in our lifetimes.

Having advocated these agendas, will Stumler now reverse course and advocate against them? That's highly doubtful.

In fact, no one in the Stumler camp has so much as attempted to rationalize or explain any of it. England has skirted the issue by his inexplicable city council run, which has diverted attention from what will be remembered as The Deal.

It would be a mistake to regard this undisguised attempt at machine king making as inevitable, or an act of a capricious God. Rather, in reality it is about the perpetuation of power, which is why questionable entities like Neace properties have gifted the already wealthy Stumler with sizeable campaign support. New Albany deserves much better tha this. The Deal has smelled from the very start, and it should be rejected by voters.

So, obviously: Vote Jeff Gahan.

At this juncture, some will ask, "But Roger, the people in this town who hate you the most are supporting Jeff Gahan. How on earth can you align yourself with them?"

In my mind, I’d be aligning with them only if my sole reason for supporting Jeff Gahan was anti-England malevolence. It is not. Jeff is the best pick, entirely apart from troglodyte antics and the Stumler saga.

Here is why:

Jeff Gahan has eight years of city council experience, and a record upon which to be judged. True, he and I have not always agreed. Truer, the relationship has occasionally been contentious. Truest, I still feel that when he’s been wrong, he’s been way-off-the-chart wrong. However, the past is passed, and upon these topics and others, he and I can agree to disagree, like rational adults, focusing instead on the future and numerous positive, shared visions for the city’s operation.

Jeff Gahan is a Democrat. He is no leftist, like I am, but he’s also not a Dixiecrat. In terms of temperament and core beliefs, he falls far closer to the region of principled conviction where a true Democrat’s political instincts should lie than the party’s local Dixiecrat component. I can live with that.

Jeff Gahan has taken a risk in choosing to seek the office of mayor. He is surrendering his council seat and going for broke. I find much to admire in this.

Jeff Gahan, correctly in my view, has chosen not to announce his appointments prior to being elected, sparing us the indignity of watching in embarrassment as aspiring position holders boast Gahan t-shirts and buttons at public forums, as current position holders have been doing with their ubiquitous StumlerWear.

Jeff Gahan owns an independent local business, and he has been instrumental in advising and assisting the start-up of New Albany 1st, our city’s first-ever grassroots organization dedicated to the interests of independent local business, which in turn, are in the city’s best interest.

And, Jeff Gahan is a baseball fan. That doesn’t hurt.

As I’ve conceded, we’ve had our share of disagreements. Yet, it would be childish of me to view these as deal-breaking impediments to making a considered, rational choice for mayor.

At face value, Irv Stumler may appear inevitable. He has the money, the patrician bearing, the family and business connections, and the endless curriculum vitae.

But think outside the box, and reject the cynicism of the The Deal.

Dig more deeply, and I believe you will agree that Jeff’s Gahan is a better bet – because of who and what he is.

Please consider voting for him next Tuesday.

Thank you.

5 comments:

Iamhoosier said...

Well put.

Larry M. Summers said...

After reviewing all the candidates, Jeff Gahan is the most logical choice for mayor. Does logic always guide our affairs in New Albany? No, but one can hope in this instance it finally does.

Jeff Gillenwater said...

Without having much to add to what you've already explained well (except a general disgust for what's happening in Indy along educational lines that I think Gahan and I share), I'm in agreement.

The most important thing this city can do to position itself well for healthy long-term decision making is to end the patrician strangleholds that have turned off and run off the talented and willing from the region for the past few decades if not longer. Opportunities come not from them but in spite of them.

Whether we've agreed or disagreed or will in the future, Jeff has at least shown a capacity for the adaptation and adoption of better ideas as they're presented. A much improved council would undoubtedly help that continue and I think will be necessary for real direction change, but I also think Gahan in the mayor's chair makes that more possible than the other candidates.

Kurt said...

A letter I sent to the Tribune today – if you live in New Albany you should read this:

Dear New Albany residents,

I would like to share an experience that you may wish to take into account regarding your upcoming decision for mayor of New Albany. I am not a New Albany resident and therefore I won’t have to deal with your decision. This allows me to be impartial about your candidates – you have to live there after all, not me.

I have spoken with both Jeff Gahan and Irv Stumler concerning issues that are important to a New Albany based coalition that I coordinate and chair. On numerous occasions Mr. Gahan took the time to listen to me and told me exactly where he stood on the issues that I raised –he did not always agree with my perspective, but he was always candid about his views and was always willing to listen. From my experience with Jeff Gahan, you know who you’re getting because he’s straightforward with his views.

As for my experience with Mr. Stumler: On March 10 of this year I called Irv Stumler to ask him his position on a matter that my coalition raised that will have an impact on New Albany. Mr. Stumler stated that he does have an opinion, but he would not tell me what his opinion is because he doesn’t want to lose any votes. I explained to him that the people of New Albany have a right to know all of their candidates’ views on issues that will impact the city. After all, if you don’t know where your candidates stand how can you pick the person to best represent you? Mr. Stumler then stated that after he’s elected his view will become known. He then asked me if I was recording him.

At this point I invited him to a meeting with the American Lung Association to listen and learn about the issue I raised. I assured him he would not be asked any questions; the meeting would only be informative in nature. He said that he would do his best to come to the meeting…he never came, he never called.

I don’t know Irv Stumler, but I do know that my conversation with him stands in stark contrast to my conversations with Mr. Gahan. If Mr. Stumler wasn’t candid about one important issue, what about other issues? Does New Albany need a leader that puts getting elected before the issues? The answers to these questions I leave to you.

Sincerely,

Kurt Fetz

SBAvanti63 said...

Baylor, Bell, Gahan, Gonder. Looks like I'm voting for the BeeGees. And, that ain't no jive talkin'

Good Luck All!