Thursday, December 01, 2005

Street spam, sign sharks and the sheer joy of litter removal.

Here’s a far too common scene around town.

No doubt you've grimaced at the many "Buys Houses" signs, both on utility poles and in medians or along city streets. The circus posters were put up in September, and many still can be seen, rotting, where they were stapled.

These are examples of "street spam."

Q: What is Street Spam?

A: Street Spam is the term for illegal signs along roadways, at intersections, on traffic signs or utility poles, and even on private property. Illegal street signs are also called vertical litter, bandit signs, snipe signs, utility pole advertising and stuff on a stick (SOS). The signs may advertise local businesses, multilevel marketing schemes selling weight loss products, health insurance, sample sales, landscaping services and even pet waste removal services. Some of the most common spam signs have the come-on Work at Home, Work From Home, I Lost 30 Pounds in 30 Days, Have a PC, We Buy Houses, Affordable Health Insurance, Budget Health Plans, and Going Out of Business.

The preceding definition comes from the FAQ section of the Citizens Against Ugly Street Spam web site.

Until reading the CAUSS FAQ, I wasn't aware that I'm a "sign shark." During city walks, "street spam" has a way of coming off in my hands. As noted by CAUSS, illegal signage (exceptions being legitimate realtor's signs and the like) is nothing more than litter -- and who doesn't believe in picking up litter?

For a similar perspective, and abundant photographic evidence of the targets as identified by these and various other like-minded campaigns, visit Atlanta Street Spam Eradication Campaign.

Anyone for a "sign shark" roaming walk some afternoon?

2 comments:

All4Word said...

Si! And welcome back to live posting. Reruns and mid-season filler are fine, but it's nice to see first-run programming on the NAC Network.

na girl said...

I am fairly certain that I checked a while back and found that we do have a sign ordinance (I'm too lazy right now to check the specifics).

I really hate those signs on the wire bases that pop up everywhere and I am pretty sure it is not legal to stick them on public property. I am not sure about private property. I do confess that we have a Clean Up New Albany sign in our front yard.

I remember at one time the city was cracking down on yard sale signs and things like that but it was a long time ago (oh gosh, I'm getting old, I don't even want to say how long ago that was) and obviously there is no monitoring of signs now.

I think that if the signs on the wire bases would just start disappearing whoever is putting them out would stop wasting money on them.

As far as yard sale advertisements, lost dog notices, etc. I would like to see some nice looking kiosks installed at various places around town that could be used for community notices.