Monday, July 02, 2012

Are you drinking locally?

It's Indie Week. My opinion is that the sooner we make localism and small business independence a part and parcel of our daily craft beer dialogue, the better. But first, we must WANT to think about what's involved with these principles. Too many craft drinkers don't, although I remain confident that eventually, they will.


Are you drinking locally?

Occasionally I’m accused by my critics (oddly, a handful remain) of having an insufficient social conscience, in the sense of my always preaching about beer when more important issues beg to be addressed.
With specific reference to my workplace in downtown New Albany, this criticism sometimes is extended to encompass the relatively sudden growth of dining and drinking establishments over the past five years, with the question being phrased something like this: Can gluttony and drunkenness alone revitalize a moribund area?
My answer is that unless we discover vast oil reserves beneath our decaying pavements, or find a way to mimic the manufacturing practices of Asian sweat shops inside the many remaining deteriorated historic structures, then yes, beefsteak and porter are fairly good starter options for regeneration, at least when they’re correctly prepared – the meat served rare, and the beer in a damned big glass.

1 comment:

Iamhoosier said...

Medium rare for me, please.