Thursday, October 18, 2018

'We Buy Cars": The face of luxury car sales in New Albany, in the form of an illegal yard sign in the verge.


A sign fairly oozing luxury.


Luxury car sales, my posterior -- even if the corner looks better.

Still, you gotta give the guy full credit for knowing the importance of meaningless buzz words. We're a city with 25% of its population below the poverty line, but City Hall is absolutely certain that if we keep repeating the word "luxury" over and over again, marketing alone will solve the problem. 


I remain fascinated: Why did the neighborhood association roll over so quickly for this guy?

Looks like ESNA and HyperCars are closerthanthis, which is why reality is so much more humorous than fiction.


It all started here:

That ugly word again: Plan Commission to consider "luxury" car sales at HyperCars on 13th and Spring.

2 comments:

Ed J, said...

Christian Betz is a twenty-something hard working entrepreneur who grew his small business from his mother's garage to its current location. He provides top notch service and is making his own way. Why bust his balls? Try being a cheerleader every now and then for those who deserve it.

The New Albanian said...

I appreciate the comment. It's just that our perspectives differ. I'm living in an urban neighborhood suffering constantly from car-centrism, and his business is just that: car-centric. That's why he has been compelled to seek two variances. In the first, a stated part of his case for detailing was the long term goal of car sales, which supposedly wouldn't happen all that soon and be very small even then. The second variance he sought for car sales came quite close on the heels of the first, mere months. As I noted, he is to be commended for the savvy to focus his car sales case on the nonsense word "luxury," even though it appears nowhere in the zoning ordinance in question. I respect him for that even if I disagree with the decision. Unfortunately I'm not seeing much luxurious about any of it yet, but to be honest, neither detailing nor car sales are the best fit for this residential neighborhood. The neighborhood association (such as it is) has been dutifully spineless, and now I have illegal yard signs in their verge ("we buy cars") as reminiscent of the "we buy houses" trash littering every light pole in city and county. I won't contest his credentials as a hard working young man and an entrepreneur -- as I've been, myself, but I've always known that being such doesn't necessarily exempt oneself from legitimate critiques. To be sure, it's not his fault the governing entities have been clueless. I can't and won't blame him for that. In fact, I suppose there's an excellent case to be made for immediate prosperity and growth, which will result in operating in a part of town more suitable for his type of business. In this sense, I'm down with cheerleading.