Friday, June 10, 2016

Here's what I did to beat the "blocking street sweeper" citation scam. Why should anyone pay?

Yesterday I received an e-mail from the clerk's office informing me that my citation for blocking the street sweeper, issued eight months ago, has been voided.

Below, you'll see the parking dispute form I filed, and the argument I used, which in essence is this.

When enforcement of ordinances is purposefully random, how can there be penalties against those cited randomly?

You'll notice that Shane Gibson, to whom this form was submitted, did not attempt to answer my question. City Hall is silent. Stop me if you've heard this one before.

The cost of this citation when paid late is $70. Today I'll be rounding this sum to $75 and using it to buy three shares in next week's Fresh Stop Market, to be donated to folks who need the produce.

Learn more and get on board the Fresh Stop Market -- a “pop up” farm-fresh food market, coming next week.


Meanwhile, here's the citation's paper trail.

When enforcement is purposefully selective, why should anyone pay a fine?

Parking Ticket Dispute
Date: Thu, June 9, 2016 09:57

Good morning Mr. Baylor,

Ticket number 5030013682, that was issued to license plate number IN-914NEU, has been voided. If I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Have a wonderful day!

Cathy Cousins
Customer Service, City Clerk’s Office


No comments: