Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Kaukas leaving the C-J

The 'Ville Voice is reporting that the C-J's Dick Kaukas is one of several of the paper's employees to accept a buyout offer as Gannett's effort to relieve itself of actual news reporting duties continues. Byron Crawford's gone, too, as 10% reductions come to a head today.

As more names of the soon-to-be unemployed are released, those of us who remember the NAC early days when Ben Hershberg used to call King Larry for his take on meetings that neither he nor Kochert attended and act as if was journalism will be anxiously awaiting news of who might pick up Dick's New Albany beat.

I was just getting to know him a little, but Dick impressed me as a solid guy. He'll be missed.

2 comments:

John Gonder said...

Mr. Kaukas is, indeed, a fine reporter. He always seemed interested in getting a story right and making sure he accurately reported your views.

Last night before the City Council meeting I was discussing with him his aquatic exercise regimen; a mile and a half a day. That's pretty impressive to me.

Good luck to fine man.

Iamhoosier said...

Indeed, I will second the "solid" on Mr. Kaukas. I will miss him.