Tuesday, October 28, 2008

NBA's back; senior editor happy.

The World Series is in limbo, awaiting a break in the weather. That’s okay. In the gym, everything’s toasty. Accompanied by a bottle of wine, I’m watching the Celtics begin their title defense against the Cavaliers.

That’s right. Tonight is the tip-off for the 2008-09 NBA season, and that’s almost as much a relief as George W. Bush’s impending departure. As I’ve noted previously, my preferences run to professional sports, as these are mercifully absent the institutional hypocrisy of “amateur” games that pretend not to be about money when they obviously are about money, but hey -- to each his or her own. I fully realize that most readers will be living and dying with local university basketball teams, and that’s fine.

Temperamentally, the NBA’s just better for me. Basketball may have started in the sticks, but now it is thoroughly cosmopolitan – the urban game, fast moving, athletic but strategic. For my money, NBA players are the finest athletes in the world in terms of the strength, speed, stamina and finesse required at such a high level of performance.

I’ll be watching this season to see how the consistency of Elton Brand transforms the Sixers, whether the aging Spurs have another championship run in them, and if LeBron James finally has the supporting cast necessary for playoff success. Is New Orleans for real? Will the youthful Blazers fill the expected void as Golden State and Denver fade from contention?

Jingoists will note that America’s run of disappointment in international basketball competition ended during this year’s Olympics, but the international cultural diversification of the NBA surely will proceed. As one unaffected by the inanity of thoughtless patriotism (nor, for that matter, by the thoughtful variety, too), there can be nothing but good to come from the ever escalating global popularity of basketball.

Contrary to the prejudices of those who never watch the league, and the admittedly infuriating tendency of network television to focus on individual match ups, the NBA isn’t just about individuals.

Balance, teamwork, defense and coaching systems are necessary to build the winning squads, just as in other levels of play. San Antonio perhaps has been the best example of this for a decade or more. More recently, Boston’s title resulted from three superstars sharing the ball and embracing a team concept. It helps to have a plan, but even when the plan breaks down, the entertainment possibilities afforded by the NBA are endless.

I’ll be watching on a regular basis, and will report back next year when the playoffs start. After all, there’s no sense in waiting for March for madness to begin.

6 comments:

jon faith said...

I am thusly conflicted on election day, how can I vote for Rick Fox without holstering my partisan resignations about his tenure on the Lakers. Tell me, please.

lawguy said...

Yawn, indeed.

Its hard to fathom any excitement about the vastly overpaid and seldom enthused NBA players. Having been to a game or two in Indy each of the past five years, its readily apparent that these guys really give about 65% effort during the regular season, if that much, which irks the hell out of me since I'm still paying 100% of the face value for the ticket. If ticket prices were proportional to the effort these guys were putting forth, it might be more interesting.

I'll give you that the NBA play-offs are indeed entertaining, as the effort and intensity rises, but as for the regular season, I'll stick to college hoops.

Yeah, the schools and NCAA make a ton of money, but for those of us trying to save enough money for our kids college tuition - or for those of us still paying off college loans, I'm sick of hearing that these exploited college athletes dont get any benefit. Free tuition & room/board in this day and age is quite a value - an often overlooked fact.

At least the college kids seem to give maximum effort, which is worth a lot in my book.

The New Albanian said...

College hoopsters generate billions. They receive thousands.

That's exploitation, anyway you cut it. Amateurism in this context is a sham, but one embraced by large numbers of people.

And I enjoy being a prick about it. You're a lawyer, and should get where I'm coming from, LOL.

Meatbe said...

I agree with you that the NBA is a superb game. I prefer the college game, but I enjoy watching both. I agree with your point, and often make it myself, that NBA players are the most well conditioned and amazing athletes around. I just wish that they would give us more variety by showing us other teams, rather than Boston, L.A., and Cleveland all the time.

Daniel S said...

Watch out for Houston this year. New Orleans too. Chris Paul is the next Isiah Thomas, plus they signed James Posey.
GO BIG BLUE in college, iamhoosier will agree with that, I'm sure.

Daniel S said...

BTW, I agree with meatbe, they show Cleveland too much. Suns are my team, hope they show more of Nash this year, since his year's are now numbered.