Wednesday, November 21, 2007

What I'm thankful for this week

(We'll be back on Friday, November 23. Have a good Turkey Day ... RAB)

Regardless of who you thank and why you thank them, it remains that sharing homegrown pleasures with friends is a good thing.


Freakwater

When Dylan sings "she knows there's no success like failure, and that failure's no success at all", he may as well be singing about Freakwater. Fiercely independent and totally disregarding of musical trends, Janet Bean and Catherine Irwin have made some of the finest country records ever put down, yet they're virtually invisible to the country music audience. They've cultivated a passionate fan base, but it's so diffused that making any real money touring seems impossible.

Perhaps their fortunes will improve upon the release their new record, Thinking of You. . ., but perhaps not. Problem is, Freakwater's music is faithful to the spirit, but not the letter, of country music's laws. As a result, they live a bastardly life, always on the outside of any side there is. "People with a punk background may think we're purists, but country fans think we're freaks," Irwin said in 1995. And that perception hasn't really changed.



People like this in school

The studio will focus on linking the pedestrian realm of downtown Louisville, especially Main Street, to the waterfront and even across the river to Indiana. Students will research the existing conditions as a basis for understanding the tissue that ties the city to the river, and how it can be enhanced. The problem is daunting, which precludes normal urban interventions. Instead, students will be asked to make a guerrilla attack on the Louisville waterfront, to imagine the improbable as a means of enlarging what is possible, and to restore the civic splendor of this timeless natural resource.


The peculiar magnetic field created by living in downtown New Albany nearly equidistant from Ken Pyle in one direction and Roger Baylor in the other


This Will Oldham / Bonnie Prince Billy show on WFPK's Live Lunch archive


Going to the country to see friends


That people all over town are talking about transportation

Our region deserves transportation solutions that:
- Address the financial, energy and environmental realities of the 21st Century
- Meet the needs of all people, regardless of socioeconomic status
- Are developed through an open, understandable public process



Feel free to pile on.

17 comments:

Iamhoosier said...

The bloggers who take to the time to share their thoughts, expertise, opinions, experience and so on. Even Erika.

TedF said...

I'm thankful for Elector and Thunderfoot. And that's the "truth" :)

B.W. Smith said...

I'm thankful for not living in a theocracy.

But then again, my cervezamological bias is probably preventing me from seeing the truth.

Anonymous said...

I am thankful to God and thankful for my family, friends, fellow bloggers and this great country that allows us so many freedoms.

I too am thankful we do not live in a theocracy.

I know it may be a scary thought, but on this issue, I may actually be agreeing with some of you.

Meatbe said...

Love; Laughter; Beauty, and the ability to enjoy it; Health; Eyesight; Freedom. These are the first things that spring to my mind. It is all too easy for us to take these things for granted.

jon faith said...

Holy shit, I thought initially that Roger was affording thanks to Freakwater and Wil Oldham. Whew, I appreciate your tastes Mr. Gill

BWS: sharia law can be a downer for some of us.

Here's to used books, internet book forums and Wild and Wooly Video.

Ceece said...

Family, friends, God and fountain Coca Cola!

B.W. Smith said...

HB: I know - just poking fun.

Seriously, I'm thankful for my friends and family - especially my wife and unborn son (due in December).

John Alton said...

I'm thankful for living in a society that allows it's people to express their opinions openly and freely. I'm thankful that there are only 425 days left in the Bush Presidency. I'm thankful for everyone else who posted comments here, and on my blog. I'm thankful for Roger Baylor...the man knows more than just beer (but does have a great selection)! I'm thankful that I'm still around at the end of 2007. Happy Thanksgiving everyone (was that Tiny-Tim-esk?)

G Coyle said...

I'm thankful I have a home and food to eat and a beautiful son to enjoy them with.

Highwayman said...

I'm thankful to even be here to see Thanksgiving 2007 and for the multitude of friends I've acquired over the last decade here in New Albany, at the various pubs & eateries, and in the blogisphere.

Thank you all for your support, camaraderie, and even your differences of opinion.

Grow on one and all!!

All4Word said...

...and I'm thankful the Highwayman is here, too. There has been too much loss in the past twelve months to even consider any more.

I'm thankful for the best life companion anyone could ever hope for.

I'm thankful that the Gang of Four is reduced and that those I supported most strongly in the recent elections will be taking their seats of influence.

And more, and more, and more...

John Alton said...

To All4Word...one word, "amen".

Happy and Safe Thanksgiving to everyone!

John Gonder said...

I'm thankful for the day which comes around every so often when you just feel like you're ----ing glad to be alive. I'm thankful for the day when you think, possibly, your dog understands that you really, really love him and he returns the sentiment. I'm thankful for the times when you feel a part of something bigger.
I'm thankful for those I love and those who love me. And I'm thankful for whoever or whatever is responsible for smell of hyacinths.

All4Word said...

jg...

You are a BIG part of something bigger and I hope that people begin to realize it.

God bless you all.

John Manzo said...

I'm thankful for family, friends, and good people who honestly disagree at times, but treat each other with respect and civility.

And, I'm thankful that word verification gives second and third chances or I'd never be able to respond to many blogs.

Christopher D said...

I am thankful for my wife and my daughter, who are my two best friends in the world.
I am thankful for my clients who take the time to say "thank you".
I am thankful I am able to be there to help the clients who do say thank you.
I am thankful for everyone on here who has taken the time to listen, and who has given great ideas, solutions and answers.
And I am also ever thankful for that fresh,still bubbling hot, heart clogging, crispy yet chewing just out of the oven unhealthy turkey skin!!!!!