Saturday, October 01, 2016

A look back to 2015, when all I wanted to do was walk like a human being in the Harvest Homecoming parade.


Because after five decades, what's the use of perpetuating a bureaucracy unless it is utterly inflexible? The shopkeepers at Underground Station are learning this lesson in 2016 ...

Trumple-down carny economics: The needs of Fiesta Rides outweighs the needs of bricks and mortar indie businesses at Underground Station.

... just as I did last year, when all I wanted to do was walk in the parade.

Me? I just want to walk the parade route tomorrow ... (October 2, 2015)

Me?

I just want to walk the parade route tomorrow, because that’s what walkability is all about.

It's about walking.

As of Friday morning, walking the parade route is an option being denied me. I hope this changes.

Of course, it didn't change. Inflexibility, you know. Central casting expects this from 800-lb gorillas.

Parade? What parade? ... October 3, 2015

And if I'm to be arrested, I prefer it occur as an act of principled civil disobedience in support of a cause slightly more important than a parade. One picks certain battles, retains a share of dry powder, and goes to the mattresses only when necessary.

A final note was appended here.

ON THE AVENUES: There’s an indie twist to this curmudgeon’s annual Harvest Homecoming column ... October 8, 2015

This year, I couldn’t bend the parade committee to the notion of common sense, which to me implies an acceptance of walking as the simplest, most basic form of human transportation.

I hope the weather cooperates today, both for the sake of the parade and the restaurant association's pop-up at the farmers market, and I continue to earnestly believe that the parade really can become interesting again, perhaps if tied more closely to what New Albany actually is in the real world, rather than an idealized vision of what it isn't.

Can someone pass this note to the HH bureaucracy?

No comments: