Tuesday, January 05, 2016

R.I.P. Mike McDaniel: "A lion and a teacher."

"He was one of the good guys."
-- Laszlo

I came to know Michael J. McDaniel as one of the lawyers clustered and smoking at the liquor store. These times were as good an education as I ever received in school.

Mike wasn't Lemmy, but in the sense of utter originality, they're a conceptual match. It's the end of an era. We will not see another like Michael J.

WHAS has the basics, but there'll be more. Here are a few observations from a fellow attorney's Facebook page.

There are lawyers with whom one has the honor of co-counseling, sitting on the same side of the courtroom, who, in the middle of the darkest day, the worst evidence, and threats from both the prosecutor and the judge, will catch your eye and with a wink remind you that this is your job, and this is your client's life, and it's time to go to war.

I had my very first felony jury trial with him. He got an acquittal on a residential burglary charge. He took me to school that week as a young deputy prosecutor. I will miss him.

Mike was an impassioned and devoted criminal defense attorney. certainly a fixture around the courthouse.

Mike McDaniel was the best trial lawyer I ever saw in front of a jury. He could distill the facts of a case to their absolute essence, then weave them into the most riveting tale. It was always a pleasure to see him, inside or outside of the courtroom. He will be sorely missed.

1 comment:

Iamhoosier said...

I only saw him in action once. Over 30 years ago during a voir dire. I was so impressed that I have tried to catch every news story about cases that he was involved in.