Sunday, August 03, 2014

"Everything they told you about how to live in the world when you were a kid is a lie."

I sit at my desk and rent rooms in France. I walk out the front door and my neighbor subjects me to a racist diatribe. We've come a short way over some mighty long paths.

I don't know, either, but this is an essay worth reading, excerpted below. Thanks to JB for sharing.
Everyone I Know Is Brokenhearted by Josh Ellis (Zen Archery) 
But the reality is that the three generations who ended the 20th century, the Boomers, their Generation X children, and Generation Y, have architected a Western civilization that’s kind of a shit show. Being born in 1978, I fall at either the tail end of Gen X or the beginning of Gen Y, depending on how you look at it. I became an adolescent at the time Nirvana was ushering in a decade of “slacker” ideology, as the pundits liked to put it. But the reality is that I didn’t know a whole lot of actual slackers in the 1990s. I did know a lot of people who found themselves disillusioned with the materialism of the 1980s and what we saw as the failed rhetoric of the Sixties generation, who were all about peace and love right until the time they put on suits and ties and figured out how to divide up the world. I knew a lot of people who weren’t very interested in that path.

The joke, of course, is that every generation kills the thing they love. The hippies became yuppies; Gen X talked a lot about the revolution, and then went and got themselves some venture capital and started laying into place the oversaturated, paranoid world we live in now. A lot of them tried to tell themselves they were still punk as fuck, but it’s hard to morally reconcile the thing where you listen to Fugazi on the way to your job where you help find new ways to trick people into giving up their data to advertisers. Most people don’t even bother. They just compartmentalize.

2 comments:

TSOLfan said...

I read the essay, and when I reached the end, I was presented with this:

"Proudly powered by WordPress." with a link that boosts their SEO numbers.

And I had to laugh at the irony of it all.

The revolution will be sponsored.

jon faith said...

There are obviously no racists in France, duh!