Friday, July 16, 2010

Mr. October and a nobody.

When I was a kid, Reggie was my man. In the end, he spent three-plus seasons in the big leagues doing nothing except striking out, but also hit almost 600 homers before steroids begat asterisks. My Oakland baseball blog of choice catches up with Reggie in Athletics Nation Interviews Reggie Jackson.

I've always loved the A's. I enjoyed my time there. I enjoyed playing there. I enjoyed getting my start there. I enjoyed learning from Charlie Finley and Dick Williams. I saw Rollie Fingers yesterday and enjoyed having the ability to play with him on the same team. I enjoyed the leadership of Sal Bando, the greatness of Vida Blue, the steadiness of Catfish Hunter and Kenny Holtzman, the wonderful character and personality and the great player that Joe Rudi was, so I have all fond memories there. I'm from Oakland. I hope they keep their franchise there. The fans are special, the place is special, and it's a place I enjoy calling home.

1 comment:

edward parish said...

Reggie Jackson and Steve Price? What do they have in common?

Saw a ballgame in Oakland in May, hope they keep the A's there as well, but they need a new stadium to play in.