Friday, September 11, 2009

NASH: "Maybe Coffey is the problem."

SPOILER WARNING: The mirror would crack.

Matt has been a wonderful addition to the Tribune's guest columnist roster, but don't take my word for it. Just consider the many anonymous threats (likely emanating from one or two poison pens) to "drop my subscription" because of writers like Matt, and you'll see just how effective his pieces have been in promoting discussion.

In many ways, Matt has it worse than me when it comes to rocking the world of New Albany's entrenched obstructionists. After all, I'm an "outsider," having been raised a whopping eight miles away in Georgetown before moving to New Albany 17 years ago. Matt is under closer scrutiny from the mad-as-hell wannabeens because his is a local political family, and to some, primarily Democrats of the "In Name Only Sans Any Discernable Coherence Whatsoever" variety, he quite simply is a traitor to his political class.

So, to repeat: If "King Larry" Kochert is against you, you have the luxury of knowing that your position is probably viable, sane and representative of thought, not biochemical processes approximating habitable brain plains.

And, consider my own two choices next Thursday: Go to the Public House, drink progressive pints, and attend the second gathering of the Louisville Area Skeptics, or go to the city council meeting, remain bone dry, and watch Dan Coffey make a mockery of law while his seatmates yawn.

I'm a masochist ... and a working journalist, to boot.

Does that give you a clue as to my probable choice?

Take it away, Matt. And thanks.

NASH: Maybe Coffey is the problem

When I decided that I would try to write this column for The Tribune a few months back, I had in mind a few things I wanted to accomplish. I wanted to have fun, I wanted to entertain and I hoped that we could all learn something from what I had to say. It was never my intention to become part of the story. That all changed drastically on Aug. 20 when I decided to attend a New Albany City Council meeting ...

... As I was leaving Mr. Coffey cited “the rules” for not allowing me to speak. What are these rules that he speaks of? Why are only people he disagrees with subject to these rules? Why are his supporters and district constituents given special exception of “the rules”? Why am I subject to his rules but he is not subject to the constitution of the State of Indiana and its rules on proper redistricting?

14 comments:

Iamhoosier said...

Bravo, Matt.

As soon as Mr. Coffey can find another ghost writer, he'll respond.

Bayernfan said...

Very nicely said, Matt.

Jeff Gillenwater said...

Another good contribution, Matt.

If more people in Matt's position had his gumption, Coffey's behavior would likely have never become the problem it is today.

Matt Nash said...

Thanks everyone for your support this week it means a lot. I hope I don't dissapoint.

Bayernfan said...

Being truthful is never disappointing...geez, I sound like my mother...

Daniel S said...

We just got an unsigned letter with a tidy little graph attached showing that our approval rating went from 100 percent to 0 percent since Mr. Baylor's columns have been running.
Our initial reaction...wow, we were at 100 percent! The next reaction, wow, we were at 100 percent!

I don't agree with everything Roger writes, Matt writes, Dave Matthews writes, heck, what I write. But in America, you should be able to have an OPINIONS page without that stuff. I could understand totally if someone was reporting a story and was being biased, but it's an OPINION.

But since you and Matt have basically evaporated our approval rating, I think you should make up for it with Tribune approval day, 1/2 priced boozes and roundhouse pizzas for Daniel. I think Steve shouldn't be included, as I don't agree with his opinions and will soon cancel my subscription to his twitter page.

Iamhoosier said...

LOL

Iamhoosier said...

Daniel,
You can tell your superiors that I have no intention of cancelling my subscription--no matter how long they keep you.

dan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt Nash said...

I have to see that chart

SteveK said...

Matt - Visualize a red sharpie making a short down arrow about 2 inches from a 100 ..... to a 0. You've now seen the chart.

With Chris' copy, that made three that came today. See there, The Tribune is really doing all it can to get the post office back in the black. Happy to help.

Bayernfan said...

Three, you say? Coffey, Price and Kochert?

SteveK said...

I've since found out that several more were sent to The Evening News as well for some reason.

Matt Nash said...

I figured it was made with crayons.