Thursday, October 10, 2019

PINTS & UNION PORTFOLIO: Kind words at my workplace, and I'm touched.


It was a fine Guinness pour on my part, and I'm reminded that it's time to lose thirty pounds; a few too many chins, but I'm almost 60, and nowadays my primary vice seems to be gluttony, not drunkenness. 

Anyway, Cassie gave me advance notice of my turn as subject of the employee profile, and she did a fantastic job with it. It hasn't always been easy finding my footing these past four years, but verily, it's getting better all the time. 

---

You’d be hard-pressed to find someone in New Albany who hasn’t heard of or met Roger Baylor, a long-time New Albany resident who has had his hand in many beer-related ventures. Roger curates our beer program here at Pints and spends a lot of time researching, sourcing, and of course drinking the unique and delicious beers we keep on tap.

He describes himself as a “flagrant Europhile,” so the beers at Pints&union that he enjoys most are the ones that connect to travel experiences in Europe, like @pilsnerurquell (Czech Republic), @fullers (United Kingdom) or our excellent small list of Belgian Trappist ales. In 2004, he got to bicycle with a group of friends around the country to all the Belgian monasteries to drink that brew ale so it holds a special place in his heart. Picking a favorite beer at Pints is no easy task, but he says “sipping on a Rochefort 10 or draining a tankard of Urquell takes me back to some very good times abroad.”

When he’s not sorting through beers at Pints&union, he’s generally at home in his century-old house just up the street from the pub with his wife Diana and their three feline lodgers. He loves reading, music, cooking, trip-planning and local political commentary, but he stays pretty busy with his other part-time job as digital editor for Food & Dining Magazine.

Thank you Roger for your dedication and the care you put into selecting great beers for the pub, I think we can all agree New Albany wouldn’t be the same without you!

No comments: