First, the former Liz at Home (with a second floor office) at 141-143 East Main, just opposite the old Abe's Rental, itself currently being renovated.
About this building, the New Albany Historic Preservation Commission tells all:
141 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150
This was originally a four-story structure, which has housed numerous businesses since its construction in 1855. The earliest tenant was John R. Nunemacher, who had his City Bookstore and publishing company here. In the 20th century, the following companies occupied the building: Rhodes-Burford Co., furniture and carpet; The Tribune Co., New Albany Tribune, New Albany Ledger and Tribune; and Karl Fenger & Son Hardware. Later, Reisz Furniture Company's 'Pilgrim Shop' sold Early American-style furniture and reproductions of Colonial pieces out of this storefront.
The drawing below shows the building circa 1890, at its original height. The building likely took on its current configuration following the 1937 flood; at that time, two other four-story buildings along Main Street were damaged and subsequently reduced to two stories.
Building Style: Greek Revival
Year Built: 1855
The second structure set for an overdue return to usefulness is the Jacob Goodbub Building at 213 Pearl Street.
Once again, the NAHPC fills in the blanks and pulls away the aluminum foil.
Jacob Goodbub Building
213-215 Pearl Street
New Albany, IN 47150
This Italianate was constructed in 1888 and was originally two storefronts. 213 was occupied by Mrs. A. Heleringer, milliner, for almost forty years. The boot and shoe business of C. Schan & Son and later Charles Hassenmiller dry goods occupied 215. By 1919, the Sample Shoe House had taken in both storefronts, and in the 1925 New Albany City Directory Louis Berlin was listed as having his general merchandise business here through the mid 1940s. Mr. Clarence Benjamin’s Fashion Shop began its long tenure here immediately following Mr. Berlin. During this time, the building was updated with a modern aluminum slipcover, which was removed in 2008 to reveal the ornate limestone detailing below.
Building Style: Italianate
Year Built: 1888
That's all we know for now. Main photos courtesy of Mike Kopp; inset photos are from the NAHPC.