Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Chef Gina explains Fresh Stop. Should there be one in New Albany?

Many of you know Gina Brown through Every Day Fresh with Chef Gina. Yesterday she posted this on social media, and it piqued my curiosity.

"Just came from a meeting about starting a Fresh Stop in New Albany! This is so needed for our Community! If you are interested in being part of this, let me know!"

I asked Gina to explain Fresh Stop, and here is what she wrote.


"Many people in New Albany/Floyd County are living in what is considered a food desert. It is an area, usually urban but not always, where fresh produce is either non-existent or of poor quality. I don't have any idea what the numbers are, but I'm sure it is higher than most people believe. 

"I do know from working with Dare to Care in the Cooking Matters classes that people want and deserve fresh produce. The Fresh Stops are a community based group of farmers, volunteers and shareholders -- a CSA (Commnity Supported Agriculture). 


"Twice a month, each member will be able to pick out their own fruits and veggies. I will be a Chef Liaison in the Floyd County area. I'll be demo-ing recipes, using what the shareholders are taking home with them that week. I'll also be supplying recipes and other tips. 


I'm super excited. I think that everything I've through and doing over the last couple of years has been pointing me to community service. This will be very similar to what I've been doing at Floyd Memorial Hospital."


Interested? Talk with Gina. You can find her at Facebook here, or let me know and I'll connect you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Roger! The next meeting is January 19th at 6pm. Place has not been determined yet. If anyone is interested in attending, please let me know!