Thursday, July 09, 2015

That's right: Chris Morris is right ... this time.

Photo credit: Portland (Maine) Press Herald

Chris Morris finally encounters a topic he can wrestle successfully to the ground, and do you want to know why?

Because it's strictly personal.

The fireworks shook his house, scared his dog, and roused his elder bile. Turns out that Tip O'Neill was right, and all politics is local, after all.

But hear this: Let me make precisely the same arguments with regard to the heavy trucks on Spring Street shaking my house, and one-way arterial traffic depressing revitalization in my neighborhood, and the interests of small business being maligned by City Hall's streets timidity, and Chris immediately and instinctively sides with the oppressors.

"What's Padgett supposed to do, Rog -- move?"

That's certainly one option, as is undertaking to fight the fireworks lobby and impose a few basic rules out of considerations of public safety, these being the very same considerations of public safety arguing quite persuasively for a two-way, calmed street grid.

Chris gets this one right.

Now we merely need work on his consistency, and we may yet gain an advocate.

MORRIS: It’s time to ban the big boom, by Chris Morris (Clark County Thymes)

... I think some fireworks should remain on the market. I think the big stuff that explodes in the air, over my house, or rattles windows and threatens mankind should be left to the professionals.

The fireworks law in this state needs clarification. Basically, some items need to be banned. I am as patriotic as the next guy, but I don’t have to light explosives near my neighbor’s front door in order to prove that. I know fireworks are big business and generate needed tax revenue for the state, but there has to be a law that is fair to everyone.

1 comment:

Iamhoosier said...

Excellent point. We all need to step out of our shoes, at least every now and then.