Monday, May 25, 2015

When a Grammy winner played the Public House.



2008 wasn't my finest year. In fact, it was one of my worst. Consequently, I cannot honestly remember the chain of events that led to Mike Farris playing the Public House, apart from the efforts of my then-colleague, John Campbell, to tie together WFPK's Live Lunch, NABC and Farris -- who in 2015 won a Grammy for Best Roots Gospel Album.


That's right: $12.50. Indeed, strange days have found us.

It was an unprecedented tariff, given that we've seldom had live music at all, and when we did, it almost never required a coverage charge. John pointed me to My Space (it was that long ago) and force me to listen. Yes, it seemed to be religious music of a sort, but not overt in terms of evangelism -- and that voice. It was otherworldly.

I agreed, and Farris performed. Or did he? I think he did. I'm not sure. We probably lost money. Beer may have been consumed. Like I said, it wasn't my finest year.

Mary Gauthier wrote "Mercy Now," the song embedded here, and she describes it accurately: "Real deal, rotgut gospel." It's not my thing, ordinarily. However, the categories melt away when the music is real, and Farris has an unconventional point of view as it pertains to his religious faith.

Mike Farris' Revival: How a Drug-Addicted Rocker Found God and Grammy, by Joseph Hudak (Rolling Stone)

 ... Like Gauthier says, "Mercy Now," and Shine for All the People as a whole, is able to captivate all music fans, even those who might have preconceived notions about spiritual music. Interestingly, Farris blames any stigma associated with gospel on organized religion. Although a Christian, he refuses to attend church. Instead, he worships onstage with fans, or at home with his wife and their 10 dogs.

"Church is when we're together sharing shit that we're going through on this Earth with each other. Sharing our triumphs as well," he says. "I'm totally against religion."

It's an interesting dichotomy: a gospel singer who doesn't go to Sunday service.

"Forget religion. We're talking about just washing each other's feet. Because that's what Jesus told us to do," Farris says, going on to explain his Grammy-winning album's title. "It's for all the people, not just some of the people. The Grammy is fine, but the big mission is helping somebody make a decision to become a better human being. That's why we do what we do."

No comments: