Wednesday, February 25, 2015

What they're saying: At-large council candidates Gonder and Knable.

As the weeks go past in route to May's primary election, I'll try to provide periodic unedited candidate statements of approximate substance, as lifted from social media and news reports, and as opposed to familiar gems (although they certainly have their place) like "I enjoyed talking with the bunco club last night" or "donate to my campaign first, and maybe I'll have something of merit to say later."

That's because it is my aim to determine whether our declared candidates have anything to say at all, and I'll quote all candidates, whether or not they're in a contested race. Just promising change and new ideas without divulging them won't cut the mustard, aspirants.

Today in the at-large council contest, we find Democrat John Gonder and Republican Al Knable, both of whom attended Saturday's forum, being precise about their positions with regard to the Speck Downtown Street Network Proposal.

First, the two-term incumbent Gonder, writing at his blog.
The Sooner the Better

Last Saturday, February 21, I attended a presentation on the Jeff Speck study the City commissioned early last year. This study will ultimately lead to, among other things, two-way streets where now we have one-ways. The long process tries the patience of those anxious to get on with the conversion.

While I believe we should proceed with the conversion, I don't believe two-way streets are a panacea for New Albany. Indeed, some of the more significant recommendations from the Speck analysis directly address other aspects of walkability. But the primary identifier of the Speck study is as the two-way street study.

To address that aspect of the study then, I want to come down four square on the side of converting our one-way streets to two-way traffic ...

And political newcomer Al Knable at his Facebook campaign page.

I was stopped in the locker room this morning and asked about the following quote which will appear in tomorrow's NT.


As I had limited time at the meeting, let me expound:

I believe tolling of the new bridges will have neither as extreme nor as prolonged an effect as predicted by some. There will indeed be some impact upon NA traffic patterns but the sky will not fall. People tend to make driving pattern choices based upon economy of time/distance and money with the former usually given most weight. I think time is a more precious commodity to most compared to saving a few dollars. Gas is relatively cheap now but as it returns to $3-4 per gallon, taking the shortest travel route will win out especially for commercial operators. Hence, the "path of least resistance" regarding time and money.

Having said this, I remain as I have, without waver, IN FAVOR of the proposed implementation of the Speck study. We should begin in the more concentrated downtown residential and small business areas, expanding thereafter as finances allow, maintaining routes for industry that do not threaten the safety, health or quality of life of New Albany's current and future inhabitants and patrons. Those who've invested the time, money and energy to establish homes and businesses downtown deservedly anticipate this project advancing. I support them in their efforts.

Final note: thank you Matt Koesters for accurately conveying the gist of my comments. I encourage everyone to pick up a copy of the Trib tomorrow and read the full article while enjoying the paper's new design!

See this post for more information on the at-large council race:

NA council: The at-large scrum of nine contestants for three jobs.

No comments: