Sunday, December 07, 2014

On the American Atheists’ "skip church" billboard campaign.


Deep in the heart of superstition ...

American Atheists launch provocative campaign in religious Deep South, by Peter Foster (The Telegraph)

Advertising hoardings show a young girl writing a letter to Father Christmas: "Dear Santa, All I want for Christmas is to skip church! I'm too old for fairy tales."

Counterpoint: Billboards are a waste of money, anyway.

American Atheists’ Billboard Campaign is Misguided, by Steve Neumann (Patheos)

While I admire American Atheists’ chutzpah for operating deep in hostile territory, I think their strategy is misguided. This Christmas season they are showing billboards in the Bible Belt with little children saying things like “Dear Santa, All I want for Christmas is to skip church! I’m too old for fairy tales.” I don’t think this is the best use of their resources, for several reasons.

My conclusion: Polemics never got anywhere by being meek and self-effacing, and we'll have to break a few eggs to halt the encroachment of theocracy in America.

No comments: