Monday, November 03, 2014

Your chance to correct my jaundice as it pertains to Leadership Southern Indiana.

While idly perusing social media, I noticed a glowing reference to Leadership Southern Indiana. Here's what LSI says it is, courtesy of the non-profit's Facebook page.

About
It is time to do something about future leadership - we are charged with preparing those who will succeed us.

Mission
To actively engage leaders and develop ethical leadership that impacts our region

Company Overview
Our Vision: Real Issues · Real Solutions · Real Leaders

Description
LSI will bring the best and the brightest together to tackle community issues, thus moving our region forward. LSI will become a resource for community decision making, including debates and town hall meetings on key issues.

General Information
With a base of more than 850 alumni, LSI is poised to become THE resource for leadership: for leaders themselves, for organizations that are seeking leaders and for leadership of key community initiatives.

As the sort of institution that presents itself as essential, I'm naturally inclined to exercise skepticism, and my default reaction to LSI's claims of prowess always has been something like this: "Whatever -- just another paint-by-numbers, business-as-usual offshoot of the same old One Southern Indiana/chamber of commerce economic and personal development gibberish."

Perhaps my attitude stems from famous historical episodes, as when LSI triumphantly welcomed noted theocratic fascist Albert Mohler eight years ago to teach its cadres about "leadership":

Leadership Southern Indiana welcomes ... huh?

 ... My only question: Will gays, Catholics, the childless, Muslims and artists if all marred stripes actually be allowed to attend this questionable exercise in the enhancement of their "quality of life" by means of the theocratic version of “leadership?”

However, I'm forever open to persuasion, and capable of both listening and learning, so here's your chance to correct my misperceptions. After all, quite a few acquaintances have taken part in LSI. There must be something to it, right?

Is my perception of LSI as same old chamber of commerce shill BS right or wrong -- or somewhere in between? Let me know.

1 comment:

cowhisperer said...

My application was turned down two times. So I took the high road with Mark Twain and said I am better than that. No, he said nicely something to the effect__,he would not belong to a club that would except him as a member. Hahaha. Funny guy. But about me. After that I got elected to public office three times. I suspect that group has a healthy bank account.