Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Back home again in Indiana (2014 enigmatic variation).

978 e-mails, two espressos and a can of kippers later, I'm forced to concede that vacation finally is over. We're happy to be home ... sorta, kinda.

I was entirely unplugged for 13 days of Germany and Belgium, and of all the news items reviewed thus far upon return, the one affecting me the most is word of Mike Naville's passing. 

Some years back, Mike was planning a trip to Europe and asked me for a recommendation in Germany. I advised Bamberg, and a stay in one of the upstairs rooms at Brauerei Spezial. Mike went, and while there, he happened upon another American, a beer biz importer acquaintance of mine who graciously showed him around town. Mike's glee in relating this story is something I'll never forget.

Ironically, we stayed, drank and ate at Spezial last week. I thought about Mike's visit and made a mental note to say something to him about Bamberg. Now I won't be able to do so, and life's funny that way, which is why we must live it to the fullest ... and Mike did. 

He'll be missed. The newspaper's Chris Morris offers a good remembrance.

No comments: